British boxer Nick Blackwell woke from his induced coma on Saturday 2 April, one week after a 10th-round stoppage defeat to Chris Eubank Jr at Wembley Arena. In a latest update from promoters Hennessy Sports, the 25-year-old is said to have begun talking to family members and close friends 24 hours later.
"At the weekend, Nick woke from this induced coma, acknowledged the voices of loved ones and, by Sunday, was starting to talk," an official statement confirmed. "It was the outcome everyone had been hoping and praying for; Nick had won his toughest fight yet. On behalf of Nick, his family, and very close friends, we'd like to thank everyone for their continued support and well-wishes. It has been overwhelming at times and has certainly not gone unnoticed.
"Nick Blackwell won the hearts of over three million [television] viewers on 26 March with an astonishing display of all-action bravery and determination. In the past week, however, he has humbled millions more. He's a fighter. He's a warrior. He's a true champion and gentleman."
Blackwell was providing the third defence of his British middleweight title against the highly rated Eubank Jr, impressing onlookers with his determination and resilience but ultimately absorbing a lot of punishment throughout a bruising contest. The fight was eventually halted in the 10th round after referee Victor Loughlin sought advice from the ringside doctor concerning significant swelling above the Trowbridge's fighter's left eye.
He later collapsed in the ring and was given oxygen before being rushed to St Mary's Hospital in Paddington, where he was found to be suffering from a small bleed to the skull. The decision was taken not to operate but Blackwell was placed in an induced coma. Doctors are said to have gradually reduced the number of sedatives used over the following seven days.