UPDATE: Fresh Android 5.1.1 OTA download links are now available for all Android One devices. Check out the download links below:
Android One smartphone users are in for some great news, as the official Android 5.1.1 Lollipop build LMY47V is now available for manual download and installation on a spate of devices including Micromax Cavas A1 AQ4501, Dream Uno, Karbonn Sparkle V, Symphony Roar A50 and Nexian Journey One Mi438S.
In other words, those who missed the OTA update notification or cannot wait for the official Android 5.1.1 release in their country or region can go ahead and install the same manually, using the step-by-step guide provided below.
It is a known fact that OTA updates are constrained to stock Android based devices and hence if your smartphone is already unlocked with root access installed then you will not be receiving any OTA update notifications from the OEM or Google servers.
Besides, if you have lost root access or third-party apps on your phone are not working due to some corrupt or missing system files, then restoring the phone back to factory settings will be your best bet.
In such circumstances, it is imperative to flash the OTA update manually via recovery mode. This should also help in fixing various boot loop issues, force close errors, battery drain issues, heating problems, screen freezes and app crashes.
IBTimes UK reminds readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to device, during or after the firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- Back up important data and settings on your device via recovery mode
- Ensure that your phone has above 80% battery charge
- The bootloader of the device should be unlocked
- The Android 5.1.1 Lollipop build LMY47V is only for Android One smartphones. Installing the firmware on any other variant could brick the device. Hence, verify the model number of the device before installing the OTA update
- This is stock Android 5.1.1 Lollipop build released by Google and not a leaked firmware
Steps to install Android 5.1.1 Lollipop stock ROM on Android One Devices
- Download the Android 5.1.1 Lollipop OTA zip file to your computer
- Connect and mount the phone's USB mass storage on the computer via USB cable
- Copy the downloaded Android 5.1.1 stock ROM zip file to the root folder on the phone's SD card and rename the folder as clockworkmod/backup
- Power off the phone and disconnect its USB cable from the computer
- Boot the device into Philz Advanced Touch Recovery or Recovery Mode, using the designated hardware keys on your phone
- In Recovery Mode, perform Wipe Cache Partition and wait until the process completes
- Perform Wipe Dalvik Cache as well. To do this, go to the 'advanced' option and then click Wipe Dalvik Cache. This will help in preventing boot loop issues or any boot ROM related errors during firmware installation
- Return to the main recovery menu and run advanced restore function to restore only /system and /boot
- Once restore process is complete, just reboot the device into the freshly installed Lollipop OS
Your Android One device is now running the latest Android 5.1.1 Lollipop update via stock ROM. Go to Settings > About phone to verify the firmware version installed.