OnePlus One users are yet to receive any official Lollipop update from OEM or Google, while the industrious CyanogenMod team has just unleashed the latest custom Android 5.0.2 update via CyanogenMod 12 (CM12) Nightly ROM.
The new CM12 Nightly build brings tons of custom Lollipop features based on the original Android Open Source Project (AOSP), which can be installed on your OnePlus One using any custom recovery tool such as ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP.
The CM12 Nightly ROM offers a fast and smooth Android experience, besides introducing a handful of new features and enhancements that are not part of the OEM or stock Android versions.
Though the CM12 Nightly ROM is still in its beta stage, it comes in a highly-stable release.
Some of the noteworthy features ported into the CM12 Nightly Lollipop ROM for OnePlus One are listed below:
- Vibrator Intensity
- On-screen/Capacitive Buttons options
- Button Options (CM tweaks)
- Notification Light (LED) options
- Double Tap to Sleep/Wake - Status Bar Sleep+ Wake screen
- Ambient display
- Accidental Wake-up
- Color Enhancement
- Sunlight enhancement (On by default cannot turn off..)
- Privacy Guard
- Status Bar Options (CM tweaks e.g. quick pulldown)
IBTimes UK reminds readers it will not be held liable for any damage to device during or after the Android 5.0.2 Lolliop firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- The instructions given in this guide are meant for the European variant of OnePlus One only. Verify device model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Ensure the phone has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing the ROM.
- Back up data and settings using a recommended custom recovery tool, like ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP, as it creates a complete image of the existing phone setup. In Recovery, choose Backup and Restore and tap Backup.
- Verify correct USB drivers for the phone are installed on the computer (download OnePlus One USB drivers).
- Enable USB Debugging mode via Settings > Developer Options (if running Android 4.0 or above) or Settings > Applications > Development (if running Android 2.3 or earlier).
- Ensure that the device is rooted with CWM recovery installed and its bootloader is unlocked.
Steps to Install Android 5.0.2 CyanogenMod 12 Nightly ROM on OnePlus One
Step 1 - Download CyanogenMod 12 Android 5.0.2 custom ROM for OnePlus One on the computer.
Step 2 - Connect and mount the phone's USB mass storage on computer with USB cable.
Step 3 - Now, copy the downloaded CyanogenMod 12 ROM zip file to the root folder on the phone's SD card.
Step 4 - Power off the phone and disconnect its USB cable from computer.
Step 5 - Boot the device into Recovery Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down and Power buttons together.
Step 6 - Once the phone enters CWM Recovery, perform a full data wipe task by clicking Wipe Data/Factory Reset. Use the Volume keys to navigate between options and Power button to select an option in the Recovery Mode.
Step 7 - Perform Wipe Cache Partition and wait until the process completes.
Step 8 - Perform Wipe Dalvik Cache as well. To do this, go to 'advanced' option and then click Wipe Dalvik Cache. This will help in preventing boot loop issues or any boot ROM related errors during firmware installation.
Step 9 - Then return to the main recovery menu and choose Install Zip from SD card.
Step 10 - Click Choose Zip from SD card. Use volume keys to navigate to the CM12 ROM zip file that you copied earlier to your phone's SD card and choose it by tapping the Power button. Confirm the ROM installation on next screen and the installation process will begin.
Note: Repeat Step 9 and Step 10 to install Google Apps (Gapps) as well.
Step 11 - Once the ROM and Gapps installation completes, go to "+++++Go Back+++++" and select Reboot System Now in the Recovery menu.
The phone will now reboot and the first boot may take about five minutes to complete. So, please be patient.
Your OnePlus One is now running the latest Android 5.0.2 Lollipop via CM12 custom ROM. Go to Settings > About phone to verify the firmware version installed.
[Source: Team Android]