Galaxy S3 (GT-I9300) is among the lucky few devices to enjoy the latest Android 5.0.2 update, thanks to the release of LiquidSmooth ROM, which brings a fast and smooth Android experience in a highly-stable release.
The LiquidSmooth ROM is a custom Lollipop ROM based on the latest AOSP release that requires any custom recovery tool like ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP to be installed before flashing the ROM.
Some of the noteworthy features ported into the LiquidSmooth Lollipop ROM are listed below:
- Extra info about your device (About phone/tablet)
- Custom Liquid Logo in about phone/tablet
- Google bug report and OTA removed
- Option to show kernel toolchain and other info by tapping kernel version in about phone/tablet
- Timeout and instant lock options added to slide unlock instead of just secure keyguard options
- Developer options enabled by default
- Navigation bar height control
- Show application package name in app info
- LiquidSmooth Stats and Updater added
- Partition size info
- Option to disable immersive messages
- Toast animations
- Option to disable screenshot noise
- Built in superuser options with Root access options
- Hardware key rebinding
- Call blacklist options
- SMS rate limiting option
- Filter spam notifications
- Per app control for Lockscreen notifications
- Configurable 0, 90, 180 and 270 degree rotation
- Lots of settings switched from checkboxes to switchboxes
- Safe headset volume option
- Less annoying sound notifications option
- option to use volume keys to control media volume anytime
- Option to custimize device hostname
- Option to not wake up device when charge is plugged/unplugged
- Volume rocker wake up
- IME switcher notification control
- Option to disable fullscreen keyboard
- Force autorotation on IME
- Option to force show enter key
- CM's Privacy Guard
- Increasing ringtone option
- Viper4android integrated
- Dark UI for settings
- Battery and notification light options
- Screen Density changer
- Statusbar clock customization
- Option to disable searchbar in recents
- Statusbar brightness control
- Double tap statusbar to sleep control
- Custom Lockscreen shortcuts
- Option for offscreen gestures
Those who want to get a first-hand experience of running Lollipop on their ageing Galaxy S3 can go ahead and install the LIQUIDSMOOTH ROM, using the step-by-step guide provided below.
IBTimes UK reminds readers it will not be held liable for any damage to device during or after Android 5.0.2 Lolliop firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- The instructions given in this guide are meant for the international variant of Galaxy S3 with model number GT-I9300 only. Verify device model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Ensure the phone has at at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing the ROM.
- Back up data and settings using a recommended custom recovery tool, like ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP, as it creates a complete image of the existing phone setup. In Recovery, choose Backup and Restore and tap Backup.
- Verify correct USB drivers for the phone are installed on the computer (download Galaxy S3 USB drivers).
- Enable USB Debugging mode via Settings > Developer Options (if running Android 4.0 or above) or Settings > Applications > Development (if running Android 2.3 or earlier).
- Ensure that the device is rooted with CWM recovery installed and its bootloader is unlocked.
Steps to Install Unofficial LiquidSmooth Android 5.0.2 ROM on Galaxy S3 I9300
Step 1 - Download LiquidSmooth Android 5.0.2 custom ROM for Galaxy S3 on the computer.
Step 2 - Connect and mount the phone's USB mass storage on computer with USB cable.
Step 3 - Now, copy the downloaded LiquidSmooth ROM zip file to the root folder on the phone's SD card.
Step 4 - Power off the phone and disconnect its USB cable from computer.
Step 5 - Boot the device into Recovery Mode by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together.
Step 6 - Once the phone enters into CWM Recovery, perform a full data wipe task by clicking Wipe Data/Factory Reset. Use the Volume keys to navigate between options and Power button to select an option in the Recovery Mode.
Step 7 - Perform Wipe Cache Partition and wait until the process completes.
Step 8 - Perform Wipe Dalvik Cache as well. To do this, go to 'advanced' option and then click Wipe Dalvik Cache. This will help in preventing boot loop issues or any boot ROM related errors during firmware installation.
Step 9 - Then return to the main recovery menu and choose Install Zip from SD card.
Step 10 - Click Choose Zip from SD card. Use volume keys to navigate to the LiquidSmooth ROM zip file that you copied earlier to your phone's SD card and choose it by tapping the Power button. Confirm the ROM installation on next screen and the installation process will begin.
Note: Repeat Step 9 and Step 10 to install Google Apps (Gapps) as well.
Step 11 - Once the ROM and Gapps installation completes, go to "+++++Go Back+++++" and select Reboot System Now in the Recovery menu.
The phone will now reboot and the first boot may take about five minutes to complete. So, please be patient.
Your Galaxy S3 I9300 is now running the latest Android 5.0.2 Lollipop via LiquidSmooth custom ROM. Go to Settings > About phone to verify the firmware version installed.
[Source: Team Android]