Three men and a 15-year-old boy have been arrested on suspicion of murder after a Bournemouth teenager died in a supermarket car park, a few hundred metres from a police station. Jack Gudge, 17, died from injuries sustained during an assault in the early hours of Saturday morning.

Gudge was taken to the Royal Bournemouth and Christchurch Hospital where he later died.

Police have now confirmed that three men aged 23, 24 and 27, and a 15-year-old boy, who are all from the Bournemouth area, have now been arrested on suspicion of murder. They are "currently assisting police with their enquiries".

Detective Inspector Wayne Seymour, of Dorset police's major crime investigation team, said: "Following the death of the boy enquiries are now underway to establish exactly what happened during the incident.

"I am appealing for anyone who may witnessed what happened or has any other information that may help with the investigation and who has not already spoken to police to contact us as soon as possible."

Police responded to reports of a brawl near the Tesco on Wimborne Road in Winton shortly before one in the morning, and arrived to find Gudge lying unconscious in a pool of blood. Paramedics rushed him to hospital, but were too late to save him. A post-mortem is yet to have been conducted.

Local police inspector Matt Chutter, told media that this "tragic incident" had "understandably saddened and shocked the local community", adding: "I would like to reassure the public that we have an expert team carrying out the investigation into Jack's death and a number of arrests have been made in relation to the incident.

"Specially trained officers are supporting the family throughout this ordeal and I would ask that their privacy is respected at this difficult time. There will continue to be a heightened police presence in the area while enquiries take place. Our local Neighbourhood Policing Team is there should any residents have any immediate concerns."

Bunches of flowers have been left outside a house inside the police cordon by the teenager's grieving friends, while on Twitter, the hashtag #ripgudge is being used by hundreds of people to pay tribute to him. His school has also tweeted in his memory:

Note - 18 July 2016: A previous version of this article carried a video that has since been removed.