It is finally confirmed that Samsung's Galaxy S5 Mini, released in 2014, will get the Android 5.0 (Lollipop) OS update in the UK, ending months of speculation.
Currently, Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini is running the outdated Android 4.4.2 (KitKat) operating system.
Samsung UK, in an official tweet, has confirmed rolling out Android Lollipop firmware to Galaxy S5 Mini smartphones in the UK in the very near future, which means users can check out for Android Lollipop, in the form of newer over-the-air (OTA) notifications regularly.
Android Lollipop, for Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini, is yet to reach other regions of the world such as UK, US, India and Australia; with Samsung UK's latest confirmation, it should now be a matter of time before Galaxy S5 Mini users in other countries get to see Android Lollipop.
In March, Samsung France had stated that the Android Lollipop OS update would roll out to the Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini at the beginning of Q2 2015, but the update is yet to begin its designated rollout.
What to look out for in Android Lollipop?
Android Lollipop, though on a delayed rollout, brings along newer enhancements to Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini users such as:
- Material Design: A bold, colourful, and responsive UI design for consistent, intuitive experiences across devices
- Notifications: View and respond to messages directly from your lock screen. Includes the ability to hide sensitive content for these notifications
- Battery Saver feature: The new feature extends the device's battery life by up to 90 minutes
- Enhanced security: Use Android Smart Lock to secure your phone or tablet by pairing it with a trusted device such as your wearable or car
- Device Sharing: Multiple users for phones
- New Quick Settings: Enables users to get to the most frequently used settings with just two swipes down from the top of the screen
- Connectivity: Improved network hand-off resulting in limited interruption in connectivity
- Android TV: Support for TV devices
- OK Google: Talk to Google on the go to get quick answers, send a text, and get directions and more.
Owners of Samsung's Galaxy S5 Mini can also check for Android Lollipop OS update manually by navigating to Settings > About Phone > System updates > Check for Updates.