Users of the mid-range Lenovo S60 smartphones can check their smartphones for the much expected Android 5.0 (Lollipop) operating system update.
According to a GSMArena report, Android 5.0 is being rolled out to S60 users, in a phased manner. A Greek technology portal has stated that the 5.0 Lollipop update will initially be released for Lenovo S60 smartphones in Greece and then extend to other geographical regions.
The S60, which was released in 2015 ran the outdated Android 4.4.4 (KitKat) operating platform out of the box.
As per the GSMArena report, users of the device would notice the Android Lollipop firmware in the form of a bulky 1.32GB file via an over-the-air (OTA) notification.
What's new with Android 5.0 (Lollipop)?
- Material design: A whole new colourful look and feel - from fluid animations to new application and system themes, colours and widgets.
- Notification UI: Notifications will appear on the lock screen and are intelligently ranked by type and who sent them.
- New Advanced ART runtime: ART, an entirely new Android runtime, improves application performance and responsiveness, and adds a smoother UI for complex, visually rich applications. The advanced ART is also known to compact background applications/services to allow comparatively better multitasking.
- Recent apps: Redesigned Overview space includes both applications and separate activities within those applications.
- Flashlight: Lollipop includes a new flashlight option as part of Quick Settings.
- New battery saver mode: The Battery settings panel now shows an estimated projection for how much time is left while discharging or charging. Users can also enable a new battery saver mode that will save power by reducing performance and most background data operations to extend battery life.
- Pin a view/application: Screen pinning allows users to keep a specific app or screen in view.
Early last month, Android Lollipop was seeded to Lenovo Vibe X2 users in India, from where it was released in the US and UK.