A pro-union protestor is restrained by the police during a demonstration at George Square in Glasgow REUTERS/Cathal McNaughton

Rival supporters of the 'Yes' and 'No' camps are squaring off in George Square, Glasgow, separated by police.

Around 100 'No' supporters waved Union flags and swapped insults with a similar number of 'Yes' supporters. 'No' supporters can be heard singing "Rule Britannia" and are seen apparently making Nazi gestures in some videos.

Following bitter disappointment in the referendum, where a clear majority voted to stick with the union and Great Britain, 'Yes' supporters gathered to make the point that where much of Scotland voted No, Scotland's largest city voted 'Yes'. On the ground were various slogans including 'Too many sheep in Scotland' and 'Glasgow said yes'. Council workers quickly removed the graffiti.

Scotland Independence Results Alex Salmond
Scotland's First Minister Alex Salmond resigned following the 'No' vote Reuters

However large groups of 'No' supporters also gathered to celebrate, and the two sides confronted each other, throwing fire-crackers and setting off flares. No serious violence has been recorded.

BBC reporter Cameron Buttle said the atmosphere had changed quickly when a large group of Loyalists, many in Rangers tops, arrived and rushed the 'Yes' supporters. Some Loyalists had concealed Union flags and appeared to have co-ordinated their attack. Flags on display on the Unionist side had Loyalist slogans, some with Northern Irish allusions, including "Springburn/Derry Union" and "Scotland is British, No surrender."

The scenes in George Square have been condemned by both the Scottish Conservatives and Scottish Labour Party.

Lib Dem MP Sir Menzies Campbell told the BBC: "For people like me who are committed to the democratic process and who have valued the way in which this campaign has been conducted until now, it is extremely disappointing. I hope that police will be able to make calm heads prevail and people will go home. The best possible thing would be a heavy shower in George Square. That is often a way of dispersing people who are ready to make trouble."

Following the vote - which the 'No' Camp won with 55% of the vote - Scotland's First Minister Alex Salmond resigned at a press conference at Bute House, Charlotte Square, Edinburgh, but there was further controversy when two Telegraph journalists were refused entry.