The international variants of Galaxy S4 Mini (3G and LTE) can now be updated to the latest Android 5.0.2 Lollipop, with the release of CyanogenMod 12 ROM for these devices.
The CM12 custom ROM packs all the regular Lollipop features along with a bunch of CyanogenMod functions such as a new theme engine, Quick Settings reorganisation and customisation, Quick Settings Ribbon mode, Navigation bar reorganisation and customisation, Sound panel customisation and Lock-screen quick unlock.
Interested users can go ahead and install the latest Lollipop based CM12 ROM on their Galaxy Note 3LTE by following our step-by-step guide provided below.
IBTimes UK reminds readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to device during or after the ROM installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- The instructions given in this guide are meant for the international 3G and LTE variants of Galaxy S4 Mini only. Verify device model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone
- Ensure the phone has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing the ROM
- Back up data and settings using a recommended custom recovery tool, like ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP, as it creates a complete image of the existing phone setup. In Recovery, choose Backup and Restore and tap Backup
- Verify correct USB drivers for the phone are installed on the computer (download Galaxy S4 Mini USB drivers)
- Enable USB Debugging mode via Settings > Developer Options (if running Android 4.0 or above) or Settings > Applications > Development (if running Android 2.3 or earlier)
- Ensure that the device is rooted with CWM recovery installed and its bootloader is unlocked
Steps to Install Android5.0.2 CyanogenMod 12 ROM on Galaxy S4 Mini (3G and LTE)
Step 1 - Download CyanogenMod 12 Android 5.0 custom ROM for Galaxy S4 Mini (3G or LTE) on the computer.
Step 2 - Connect and mount the phone's USB mass storage on the computer with the USB cable.
Step 3 - Now, copy the downloaded CM12 ROM zip file to the root folder on the phone's SD card.
Step 4 - Power off the phone and disconnect its USB cable from the computer.
Step 5 - Now boot the device into Recovery Mode by pressing Volume up, Home and Power buttons on your phone.
Step 6 - Once the phone enters into CWM Recovery, perform a full data wipe task by clicking Wipe Data/Factory Reset. Use the Volume keys to navigate between options and the Power button to select an option in the Recovery Mode.
Step 7 - Then, perform Wipe Cache Partition and wait until the process completes.
Step 8 - Now perform Wipe Dalvik Cache as well. To do this, go to the 'advanced' option and then click Wipe Dalvik Cache. This will help in preventing boot loop issues or any boot ROM related errors during firmware installation.
Step 9 - Then return to the main recovery menu and choose Install Zip from SD card.
Step 10 - Now click Choose Zip from SD card. Use volume keys to navigate to the CM12 ROM zip file that you copied earlier to your phone's SD card and choose it by tapping the Power button. Confirm the ROM installation on the next screen and the installation process will begin.
Note: Repeat Step 9 and Step 10 to install Google Apps (Gapps) as well.
Step 11 - Once both the Gapps and ROM are installed, go to "+++++Go Back+++++" and select Reboot System Now in the Recovery menu.
The phone will now reboot and the first boot may take about five minutes to complete. So, please be patient.
Your Galaxy S4 Mini is now running the latest Android 5.0.2 Lollipop via CM12 custom ROM. Go to Settings > About phone to verify the firmware version installed.