An eight-year-old boy has had to undergo tests for every known STD after he put a used condom in his mouth.

The Colorado schoolboy picked up the unwrapped condom in his school playground at Bennett Elementary in Bennett, after mistaking it for a balloon.

His mother, who did not want to be identified to protect her son, said it would be a year before the young boy could be given to the all-clear from his STD testing, including HIV.

The single mother told ABC7: "He's at risk for HIV, Hepatitis C, Herpes, Gonorrhoea, and Chlamydia."

The condom was disposed of by a member of the teaching staff and could not be tested for potential diseases.

The mother received an email from the school informing her of the incident in the school playground.

While the mother now potentially faces millions of dollars in medical bills the school district has refused to pay for the healthcare costs.

The Colorado School Districts Self Insurance Pool called the incident "regrettable", but said it was not liable for damages.