World Health Day will be celebrated across the world on 7 April, 2015. This special health awareness day is celebrated every year to draw people's attention towards the importance of global health.
In 1948, the WHO held the First World Health Assembly in Geneva where the Assembly decided to celebrate 7 April of each year, with effect from 1950, as the World Health Day.
Each year a particular theme is selected by the WHO that highlights a priority area of public health. This year, the theme is - Food Safety with five keys; Key 1: Keep clean, Key 2: Separate raw and cooked food, Key 3: Cook food thoroughly, Key 4: Keep food at safe temperatures, Key 5: Use safe water and raw materials.
This year, on World Health Day, WHO will highlight the challenges and opportunities associated with food safety under the slogan 'From farm to plate, make food safe.'
Here's a roundup of some top quotes and messages on health and wellness to share on World Health Day 2015.
- Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being, and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity - World Health Organization, 1948.
- In order to change we must be sick and tired of being sick and tired - Unknown
- If I'd known I was going to live so long, I'd have taken better care of myself - Leon Eldred
- He who has health has hope; and he who has hope has everything. - Arabic Proverb
- A diet higher in whole grains and legumes and lower in beef and other meat is not just healthier for ourselves but also contributes to changing the world system that feeds some people and leaves others hungry. - Dr Walden Bello
- Sickness comes on horseback but departs on foot - Dutch Proverb
- The awareness that health is dependent upon habits that we control makes us the first generation in history that to a large extent determines its own destiny. - Jimmy Carter
- Drugs are not always necessary. Belief in recovery always is. - Norman Cousins
- A healthy attitude is contagious but don't wait to catch it from others. Be a carrier. - Tom Stoppard
- In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties. - Henri-Frederic Amiel
- Looking good and feeling good go hand in hand. If you have a healthy lifestyle, your diet and nutrition are set, and you're working out, you're going to feel good. - Jason Statham