HTC Sensation was the first HTC device to ship with new Sense v3.0 in 2011. The device is still on the older Ice Cream Sandwich version as HTC stopped further Android software support for the device. But the four-year-old smartphone is still enjoying Android updates via custom builds from the developer community.
Thanks to recognised XDA developer shantur for releasing unofficial CyanogenMod 12 build for HTC Sensation, using which the smartphone can be updated to Android 5.0 Lollipop.
The custom release is going through development phases, but the developer claims most of the features are working in this build. Some users have been reporting Wi-Fi connectivity issues, but that appears to be a region problem and not wide spread, reports XDA. Check out the changelog, ROM information and features in this unofficial version.
CyanogenMod 12 changelog
- 3.4 Kernel based on HTC MSM8960
- 3.4 Camera Drivers and libs
- Continuous Autofocus in Photo and Video modes
- HDMI working with specific
- Awesome sound
- In kernel mp-decision
- Stock Sensation XE CPU frequency 1.5GHz
- Fast Charge enabled
- No known freezes or reboots
- ROM OS Version: 5.0.x Lollipop
- ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
- Based on: CyanogenMod
- Status: Testing
- Build date: 20 November
Status of features
- Mobile network
- Camera - Camera now tries to init but some memory map issue remains
- Audio - Doesn't work
- GPS - Didn't even try
- Video - Playback works without audio
If you are curious to try out this CyanogenMod 12 build to get Android 5.0 on your HTC Sensation, check the following installation method.
- Create a backup of all data of the phone suing any custom recoveries.
- Check the battery percentage of the Android device, it should be above 80%.
- The phone should be rooted and have the latest version of recovery installed.
- The device might get bug issues with the installation as the CyanogenMod build is an unofficial build and going through development phases.
- The bootloader of the phone should be unlocked.
- The Android 5.0 CyanogenMod 12 ROM works only with HTC Sensation. Flashing this on any incorrect variant might brick the device.
- IBTimes UK will not be held liable for any damage to the device.
Note: Before you start, move the downloaded files to the SD card of the phone and remember the location.
How to install Android 5.0 on HTC Sensation using unofficial CyanogenMod 12 build
Step-1: Boot the HTC Sensation in to recovery mode. First switch the phone off. Then press Volume Down and Power buttons to start the device in Bootloader Mode. Use Volume rockers to highlight Fastboot and select it using Power button.
Step-2: In recovery mode, perform Nandroid backup. To do so, select Backup and restore then select backup again.
Step-3: Return to the main recovery mode perform wiping task. Select wipe data/factory reset. Perform Cache if coming from another ROM. Once the process is completed, return to the main recovery menu.
Step-4: Select install zip from sdcard then select choose zip from sdcard. Head over to the location where the CyanogenMod ROM is saved. Select it and confirm installation.
Step-5: When the ROM is installed, repeat the similar procedure to install Gapps file
Step-6: After the installation process is completed, reboot the phone by selecting reboot system now. Wait for some time until the phone reboots and do not press any button during the process
Now your HTC Sensation should be running Android 5.0 CyanogenMod 12 ROM.