With Sony Xperia L, one of the non-Nexus devices to get the Android 5.0 Lollipop port via the unofficial CyanogenMod 12 build, a few more devices join the group. One among them is HTC's 2014 flagship smartphone, One M8.
Recognised XDA contributor, HolyAngel has shared an Android Lollipop custom build for HTC One M8 dubbed as 'SkyDragon Google Play Edition' (version 4.0.3). The Lollipop ROM for One M8, in contrast to Xperia L port, is adapted from a Google Play Edition. This means the custom firmware was made by Google, reports XDA.
Rebased on Android Lollipop build LRX21M, the SkyDragon ROM is claimed to offer optimum performance and better battery life.
SkyDragon ROM info
- Android Version: L - 5.0.0
- Firmware base: 3.09.1700.2
- Rom Version: SD GPE v4.0.3
- Built from 100% stock and clean base
- Init.d Built-in
- Busybox Built-in
- Rooted with SuperSU
- Zip-aligned on boot
- SQLite optimization on boot
- Build.prop tweaks
- System R/W - Not yet, waiting on kernel source
- Stock Kernel Rooted
- Aroma Installer
- Optional GPS Location Selection
- Optional Apps
- GAPP Removal
- Font Selection
SkyDragon ROM Version 4.0.3 changelog
- Rebased on Android L 5.0 LRX21M
- Rooted with SuperSU 2.19
- Unsecured and rooted stock kernel
- Added init.d and busybox
- Tweaked up build.prop for added speed and battery life
- Remade and Cleaned up Aroma for L
- Remade install process
- Removed xposed and modules
- Removed Themes
- Removed a couple apps
- Fixed up Gapp removal
- Removed kernel selection
If you wish to enjoy Google's latest and greatest Android update on your One M8 via SkyDragon Google Play Edition ROM, check out the following installation method.
Points to remember
- The bootloader of HTC One M8 (GSM) should be unlocked.
- The phone should be rooted and have latest custom recovery installed. (Philz recovery 6.25.x is recommended.)
- The Android devices should have above 80% of battery charge.
- Create a nandroid backup in recovery, which will help restoring the current set up if the Lollipop ROM does not work.
- SkyDragon Google Play Edition ROM works only with HTC One M8. Installing this on any other variant might brick the device.
How to install Android 5.0 on HTC One M8
Step-1: Download Android 5.0 SkyDragon Google Play Edition ROM
or, Drive Mirror
Step-2: Copy it to the external SD card of the phone
Step-3: Boot the phone into bootloader mode. For this hold Power and Volume Down button if the phone is powered off, or, press Power and Volume Up button buttons of it is on, then as soon as the screen goes black switch from Volume Up to Volume Down
Step-4: Enter Recovery mode and perform Clean to Install a New ROM (which includes wipe system/data/cache/dalvik)
Step-5: Once the process is completed, return to recovery mode and select Choose zip from SD card, and head over to the location where you have saved the Lollipop ROM
Step-6: Go through the steps that Aroma installer gives
Step-7: Once the installation process is completed, reboot the phone
Step-8: Select No to install recovery prompt if given
Step-9: Follow setup wizard
Now you should be able to enjoy the features of SkyDragon Google Play Edition ROM based on Android 5.0 on your HTC One M8.