The highly anticipated Google Android 5.0 (Lollipop) OS update is now live and seeding to LG smartphones in Europe; more specifically to the LG G3 S. Hence, users of the unlocked variant of the G3 S can anticipate a phased rollout of Lollipop for their handsets.
According to a GSMArena report, that in turn quotes Tech2 Hungary, users of LG G3 S in Hungary can currently check their smartphones for the Android 5.0 OS update; the firmware upgrade generally seeds automatically via OTA but can also be manually searched for and downloaded.
The latest reported rollout in Hungary also hints at Android 5.0 rolling out to more variants of LG G3 S. The smartphone is also known as LG D722 in Europe, as LG G3 Beat/ LG G3 Vigor in the US. Users of these smartphones can check for new OTA notifications.
Besides, users of LG G3 S (and the above described variants) can verify Android 5.0 OS update bearing version number LRX22G.A1428918170.
New enhancements brought along by Android 5.0:
Apart from enhancing the operating platform firmware, the Android 5.0 OS update also brings along a plethora of new features and enhancements such as:
- Material Design User Interface (UI): The new material design offers complex animations and 3-D views, 64-bit ABI support and improved runtime.
- Home Touch Buttons: Home Screen Navigation buttons are now changed/improved to offer more intuitiveness and ease of operation.
- Lockscreen and Notifications: Notifications can appear on the Lock Screen based on user settings, with the first two notifications being displayed if configured accordingly. Swiping away a notification while on the lockscreen will display the next Notification without the user having to unlock the device.
- Hiding Notifications: This feature can be configured via the Settings menu to "Show all notifications", "Hide sensitive only" or "Hide all notifications" so that Notifications on the Lock Screen can be fully displayed, selectively displayed or not displayed at all.
- Smart Lock: Provides a simpler way to unlock the device by using face recognition.
- Floating Action Buttons: The floating action button is added in some of the main applications to promote the key action such as adding or composing a new item. Floating Action Buttons can be found in the Clock, Contacts, Email, Messaging, and Music applications.
- LG Health: LG G3 S users get to test out the new LG Health and Fitness application with user goal indicated inside a custom UI in the main window, to motivate users to achieve their goals. The distance view functionality is also newly added.
- Screen Pinning: The Screen Pinning feature can be found in the Recent app. Screen pinning locks the device to a single app, preventing the device from launching other apps until it is unpinned by the user.
Manual search and downloading of Android 5.0 OS update:
LG G3 S users can follow the steps mentioned below to manually search/download Android 5.0 SO update:
- From the Home Screen, tap the Menu Key and navigate to Settings > About Phone > Software updates > Check for Updates.
- Select Download Now.
- When download is complete, a screen will appear stating that the latest software version is ready for installation. Choose Install Now.
- The device will power down and power back on. A screen will appear stating that the installation has been completed. Tap OK.
Until the latest rollout, LG's G3 S ran the now outdated Android 4.4.2 KitKat operating platform, out of the box.