After rolling out the Android 5.0 (Lollipop) OS update to Samsung Galaxy Note 3 users who have subscribed to its wireless network services in the US, Sprint is now seeding the much expected OS update to Galaxy S4 owners using its Sprint Spark service in the country.
According to a SamMobile report, users of Samsung Galaxy S4 currently obtaining Sprint's Spark service (an advanced tri-band LTE connection that Sprint provides to compatible smartphones in US) can check their handsets for the Android Lollipop OTA update bearing version number L720TVPUCOD1.
Sprint late last year rolled out to Samsung Galaxy S4 owners who subscribed to its Spark enhanced tri-band LTE service, the all-important Wi-Fi calling feature that lets users make/receive calls to the US, Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico at no extra cost via Wi-Fi.
What's new with Android Lollipop, for Sprint Spark-driven Samsung Galaxy S4:
Sprint Spark-driven Galaxy S4 users in the US should check out for Samsung's Factory reset protection feature, as per the SamMobile report. This feature locks the wipe/reset feature on Samsung's Android devices when these handsets are lost/stolen so that thieves do not get an opportunity to unlock/wipe a smartphone, thus protecting confidential user data.
Apart from the above new aspect, Android Lollipop brings with it a plethora of new enhancements which are listed below:
- Material Design: Material design offers fluid animations, vivid coloured themes and 3D-Views.
- Improved Lockscreen: Shortcuts for both Phone and Camera are provided, along with Material Design-inspired notifications.
- Touchwiz: Brighter look and feel, bold colours, fluid animation inspired by Material Design.
- Floating Action Button: Floating action buttons provide easy access to the app's most important features, such as adding a new contact or favourite, or composing a text message.
- Interruptions: Priority notifications such as events and reminders, phone calls, and messages can be set up to sound or vibrate while all other notifications are muted.
- Recents: Easy access to your Chrome tabs right from the Recent apps page. Multi-window icons for ease of use during multi-tasking.
- Battery Saver: A battery saver feature that extends device use by up to 90 minutes.
- "OK Google" voice command: Talk to Google on the go to get quick answers, send a text, get directions and more.
- Connectivity: Improved network selection logic so that your device connects only if there is a verified internet connection on Wi-Fi.
- Security: SELinux enforcing for all applications means even better protection against vulnerabilities and malware. Use Android Smart Lock to secure your phone or tablet by pairing it with a trusted device like your wearable or even your car.
As of now, Sprint is yet to release Lollipop to its Samsung Galaxy S4 regular edition users in the US.