Samsung Galaxy S4 users having subscribed to Verizon's wireless services across the US, can now check their devices for the Android 5.0 (Lollipop) OS update, which has been rolled out by the network provider.
While announcing the roll-out, Verizon stated that Galaxy S4 users can check for the update bearing version number LRX22C.I545VRUGOC1 via OTA.
Verizon also stated that the Android Lollipop roll-out will occur in a phased manner across the country.
What's new with Lollipop?
Google's Android Lollipop brings along the following enhancements to Verizon-driven Samsung Galaxy S4 handsets in the US:
- Material Design UI: Material design offers fluid animations, vivid coloured themes and 3D-Views.
- Improved Lockscreen: Shortcuts for both Phone and Camera are provided, along with Material Design-inspired notifications.
- Touchwiz: Brighter look and feel, bold colours, fluid animation inspired by Material Design.
- Floating Action Button: Floating action buttons provide easy access to the app's most important features, such as adding a new contact or favourite, or composing a text message.
- Interruptions: Priority notifications such as events and reminders, phone calls, and messages can be set up to sound or vibrate while all other notifications are muted.
- Recents: Easy access to your Chrome tabs right from the Recent apps page. Multi-window icons for ease of use during multi-tasking.
- Battery Saver: A battery saver feature that extends device use by up to 90 minutes.
- "OK Google" voice command: Talk to Google on the go to get quick answers, send a text, get directions and more.
- Connectivity: Improved network selection logic so that your device connects only if there is a verified internet connection on Wi-Fi.
- Security: SELinux enforcing for all applications means even better protection against vulnerabilities and malware. The Android Smart Lock secures your phone or tablet by pairing it with a trusted device like your wearable or even your car.
Download and installation Android Lollipop update on Verizon-driven Galaxy S4:
The latest update will be available automatically via OTA to Galaxy S4 users on Verizon's network, but the firmware can also be manually searched for and installed.
Follow the steps below, to manually search and install the update. Ensure the smartphone is connected to Wi-Fi and has at least 50% battery charge.
- From the Home screen, tap the Menu Key > Settings > About Phone > Software Updates > Check for Updates.
- Select Download Now.
- When download is complete, a screen appears indicating that the new version of software is ready to be installed. Tap Install Now.
- Verizon-driven Samsung Galaxy S4 smartphones will automatically power off and power back on.
- A new on-screen menu appears stating that the installation has been completed. Tap OK.