The CyanogenMod team has announced the release of an Android 4.1.1 (Jelly Bean) mod based on CM10 - the nightly build - for a number of Samsung devices, including the Galaxy S3 (US variants), the Galaxy Nexus and the Nexus 7, as well as the ASUS Transformer and Transformer Prime.
Team Android now reports the CM10 Android 4.1.1 nightly ROM is available for the international version of the Galaxy S3 (model number i9300) and that this firmware can be installed with ClockWorkMod (CWM) Recovery. However, since the ROM is still in its development stage, bugs are likely.
IBTimes UK recommends users back-up all important data and APN settings before following the guide. In addition, users are advised to install USB drivers for the Galaxy S3, ensure battery charge is at least 80 percent and that the device is rooted. Users are also asked to remember this ROM works only on Galaxy S3 model number i9300. Finally, ensure USB debugging mode (click here for a tutorial). Other aspects users are warned of include the fact that Samsung Kies will not detect your phone after installing this ROM because this is custom firmware.
Steps to Install CM10 Nightly Android 4.1.1 for Galaxy S3
- Install ClockWorkMod (CWM) Recovery.
- Download CM10 Android 4.1.1 Nightly and the Google Apps package to the computer.
- Connect Galaxy S3 to the computer using the USB cable.
- Download zipped ROM and Apps package from SD card.
- Turn of Galaxy S3 and disconnect from computer. Put device in CWM Recovery mode.
- In CWM mode perform a data wipe.
- Navigate to SD card and select CM10 ROM file to begin installation.
- Upon completion, select Google Apps and begin installation.
- After installation return to Recovery menu and reboot device; this should take five minutes.
Congratulations.... the Samsung Galaxy S3 is now running the CM10 Android 4.1.1 nightly ROM. You can check the software installed on your phone by navigating to Menu > Settings > About Phone.