UPDATE: A previous version of this article relayed comments made by an alleged friend to Antonio Martin to the Huffington Post, stating that he was with Martin at the time of the incident. Jesus Christo has since confirmed that his account of events was false and that the comments he gave to the Huffington Post were fabricated.

Antonio Martin, the black teenager shot by police in the town of Berkeley near Ferguson, was stopped with his friend because they fit the description of robbery suspects, according to reports.

The Huffington Post claims to have spoken to the friend of Martin who was stopped at the Mobil gas station in the Missouri town and he claims that the officer opened fire on Martin after he refused to lay down.

'Jesus Christo', 18, told the outlet that he and Martin were stopped by a police officer who said that they matched the descriptions of recent robbery suspects.

Christo then claimed that the police officer attempted to search the pair but Martin refused, causing the officer to draw his weapon and tell the pair to lay on the ground. Martin allegedly refused to do so.

"The officer then stepped back and drew his weapon and pointed at Antonio and told us to lay on the ground," Christo said. "I layed [sic] down but Antonio Refused [sic]."

"The officer then began to step back from us with his gun still aimed at us. He told Antonio to lay down once again and when Antonio didn't lay down the officer opened fire. And when I tried to get up to help my friend he screamed at me to stay down with his weapon still drawn."

IBTimes UK could not independently verify Christo's account of events or that he was even at the scene.

Initial reports from witnesses suggest that Martin was unarmed while others claim that a gun was found at the scene. Whether Martin was armed or not at the time of the incident could be immediately verified.

Martin was a student at Jennings Senior High School in St. Louis, Missouri, and, according to social media users, he was with his girlfriend at the time of the incident.

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch has reported that approximately 100 people have gathered at the gas station following the incident.