Most of those hurt in the crass were not seriously injured

More than 50 people, most of them children, have been injured after a school bus collided with a car in County Tyrone in Northern Ireland.

A major incident has been declared following the crash in Omagh Road, Drumquin, which left both the bus and the car on their sides.

Northern Ireland Ambulance Service said 52 people were hurt during the crash, but none of them are thought to have been seriously injured. The "vast majority" were treated at the scene with many checked as a precaution because of their age.

Spokesperson John McPoland added: "Six people have slightly more than minor injuries. This would include children who banged their heads off the bus windows but no one went through any windows."

In total, 48 people who were injured were taken to Altnagelvin Hospital in Londonderry and the South West Acute Hospital in Fermanagh.

Sinn Fein councillor Frankie Donnelly, who visited the scene, said he is "relieved" that no one was seriously injured during the crash.

"The bus and car both ended up in a field, and thankfully, it appears there were no serious injuries on the face of it," he told the Belfast Telegraph.

"The bus was on its side, and although not in great shape, it was still intact.

"This is obviously a traumatic incident for everyone involved including the parents, so I would like to thank the emergency services for their swift response to the accident that ensured everyone was treated quickly and professionally.

"It is important that we all take extra caution on the roads in order to minimise the risk of accidents especially coming into the seasons when driving becomes more testing."

Omagh Road has been closed between Segully Road and Drumrawan Road. The bus crashed as it was making its way from Castlederg to the secondary school in Omagh.

A Translink spokesperson said: "We can confirm that an incident has occurred involving an Ulsterbus carrying school pupils and a car on the Drumquin Road, County Tyrone, at approximately 8.20am.

"Emergency services were called to the scene and an investigation in underway."