Galaxy Note 10.1 N8000 is among the lucky few Android devices to get regular official firmware based Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) updates. Some of the older Samsung devices haven't received any official support for either ICS or Jelly Bean updates for a long time.
It must be noted that the XWALI5 ROM brings just a small update with minor bug-fixes and performance enhancements. In other words, the latest official ICS ROM for Galaxy Note N8000 does not incorporate any feature upgrades. Hence, you need not root the device or install custom recovery on it to support the ROM installation.
Key Points to Note
- The XWALI5 ROM and the instructions given in this guide are meant for the Galaxy Note 10.1 N8000 model only and will not work with any other device. Verify your device's model number by navigating to Settings > About phone.
- XWALI5 based Android 4.0.4 ICS firmware is tested to work in the following regions: Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Spain and United Kingdom.
- Ensure that the correct USB drivers are installed on your Galaxy Note tablet to enable proper connectivity with the computer. Download Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 USB drivers.
- Enable USB debugging mode by navigating to Settings > Application > Development and check the USB debugging option. This feature enables support for connecting your Android tablet with the computer.
- Verify your tablet's battery is at least 85 percent charged to prevent unexpected device shutdown while flashing the XWALI5 ROM or installing the Android 4.0.4 ICS update.
- IBTimes UK advises users to backup apps, important personal data and settings to avoid data loss while installing the latest official firmware update for Galaxy Note 10.1 N8000.
- Make sure that your tablet is factory unlocked before proceeding with the official ROM installation.
- As this is an official XWALI5 ROM based Android 4.0.4 update for Note N8000, you will lose root access soon after installing the update. You need to root the tablet again to regain full system access and be able to install root-based apps again.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only and do not cover any warranty claims involving device damage or issues arising out of using this firmware update. Users are cautioned to proceed at their own risk.
How to Update Galaxy Note 10.1 N8000 to Official XWALI5 Based Android 4.0.4 ICS ROM
Step 1 - Download Android 4.0.4 N8000XWALI5 ROM for Galaxy Note 10.1 to your computer and extract the zip file to the desktop.
Step 2 - Download ODIN v1.85 which is needed to install Android 4.0.4 ICS on Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 N8000.
Step 3 - Power off your tablet and boot into Download Mode. To do so, press and hold the Volume Down and Power buttons together, until you see the Samsung logo or the construction Android robot icon with a triangle. This confirms the tablet is in Download Mode.
Step 4 - Launch ODIN on your computer and connect the tablet to your computer while it is still in Download Mode.
Step 6 - If your tablet connects successfully, one of the ID:COM boxes will indicate yellow with the corresponding COM port number. This step is time-consuming. So, leave it alone.
Step 7 - Now, choose the files that need to be flashed or installed to your tablet, which are found among the extracted files in Step 1.
- Click the PDA button and choose the file named 'CODE'.
- Tap the Phone button and choose the file named 'MODEM'. Ignore this step if there is no such file.
- Hit the CSC button and select the file named 'CSC'. Ignore this step if such file is missing.
- Click the PIT button and choose the .pit file. Ignore this step if such file is absent.
Step 8 - In ODIN, enable Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options. As for the Re-Partition option, check it ONLY if you chose a .pit file in the previous step.
Step 9 - Now, click Start button in ODIN and the ROM installation process will begin. It will take just a few minutes to complete.
Step 10 - Once the ROM is installed, your tablet will reboot. When it boots to the home screen, disconnect your tablet from the computer.
XWALI5 Based Android 4.0.4 ICS update is now successfully installed on your computer. Go to Settings > About tablet to verify the firmware version installed.
[Source: Team Android]