Samsung has just rolled out its first Android 5.0 Lollipop update with build XXU1BNL2 via official firmware for its flagship phone, the Galaxy S5 SM-G900F (LTE).
This is a landmark achievement from the South Korean smartphone giant, as history suggests the company has taken at least three months to deliver a platform upgrade for Android, in the past.
Android 5.0 Lollipop brings tons of new features including new Material Design elements and new lockscreen, buttons, widgets, notification system and more.
As the firmware is being rolled out in phases, it is currently available for Poland region only via Samsung KIES and Over-The-Air (OTA) update.
However, those who cannot wait for the Android 5.0 official firmware (OTA) release in their country can download and install the same manually, using the step-by-step guide given below.
XXU1BNL2 Android 5.0 Firmware Details:
Model name: GALAXY S5
Version: Android 5.0 – LRX21T
Build date: Mon, 01 Dec 2014 17:41:00 +0000
Product Code: XEO
IBTimes UK reminds readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to device during or after the Android 5.0 firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
1. Install necessary USB Drivers for Galaxy S5 (LTE) SM-G900F on the computer.
2. USB Debugging Mode should be enabled on the phone by navigating to Settings >> Developer Options.
3. Back up your important data to avoid potential data loss during firmware installation.
4. Ensure the phone is factory unlocked (not locked to any specific carrier).
5. Verify Galaxy S5 LTE has at least 80 percent battery charge.
6. The Android 5.0 G900FXXU1BNL2 firmware is compatible with Galaxy S5 (SM-G900F) only. Do not attempt installing it on incorrect variants as it may brick the device. Verify the model number of the Galaxy S5 by navigating to Settings >> About Phone.
Steps to Install Android 5.0 Lollipop Build XXU1BNL2 on Galaxy S5 SM-G900F
Step 1 - Download Android 5.0 G900FXXU1BNL2 for Galaxy S5 to computer and extract the zip file.
Step 2 - Download ODIN v3.09 which is needed to install Android 5.0 on Galaxy S5 G900F.
Step 3 – Power OFF the phone and boot it into Download Mode. Press and hold the Volume Down and Home buttons together, and then tap Power button till the construction Android robot icon with a triangle appears on screen. Hit Power again to confirm entry into Download Mode.
Step 4 - Launch ODIN on computer and connect your phone to it while your phone is still in Download Mode.
Step 5 – When the phone connects successfully, one of the ID: COM boxes turns yellow with the corresponding COM port number. This process might take some time, so leave the device connected to computer.
Step 6 - Choose the files that need to be flashed or installed on your phone, which can be found from the extracted files in Step 1.
- Click on AP button and choose the file named AP.
- Tap CP button and select the file named MODEM.
- Hit CSC and select file named CSC.
- Click on PIT and select the .pit file.
- Tap BL button and select file named 'BL'. Ignore the last four steps, if the files do not exist.
If you are using an older version of ODIN for flashing the firmware then check out the abbreviations to the old name format. Do note that only file name changes, the functionality and back end process remains the same.
- AP = PDA
- BL = Boot Loader
- CP = Modem
Step 7 - In ODIN, select Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options. But, Re-Partitionoption must be checked ONLY if you chose a .PIT file in the previous step.
Step 8 - Click Start button in ODIN and the installation process will begin. It may take just a few minutes to complete.
Step 9 - Once the installation is done, your phone will reboot. When the homescreen boots-up, disconnect your phone from the computer.
Your Galaxy S5 is now successfully updated to Android 5.0 build XXU1BNL2 official firmware. Go to Settings > About phone to verify the firmware installed.
[Source: Team Android]