An official software update, Android 4.1.2 with base firmware XXDMB1 Jelly Bean, is released for the 3G and Wi-Fi version of Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 with model number P3100. The XXDMB1 Jelly Bean is an unbranded version of firmware and can be installed on any P3100 tablet.
Version: Android 4.1.2
Built date: February, 2013
Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 users who fail to find the update through Samsung Kies because of being region specific, may follow our step-by-step guide below to install the update manually using Odin, the flashing tool for Samsung devices.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held responsible for any mishap. Before following the tutorial, users are advised to ensure that their devices meet the requirements below.
1) Install USB Drivers for Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 on the computer to connect the Android device with the computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on the tablet to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there, navigate and click on Development option and ensure the USB Debugging Mode is turned on.]
3) Create back-up for all the data. If the device is having a custom recovery such as ClockworkMod/TWRP installed already, then backup all the data using the same since it create a complete image of the existing tablet set up.
4) Verify that the battery of the tablet has at least 80 per cent charge.
5) The Galaxy Tab should be factory unlocked and not locked to a particular carrier.
6) The device will no longer belong to a rooted version with the installation of official firmware.
7) The Android 4.1.2 XXDMB1 Jelly Bean works only with Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 P3100, flashing this on any other variant might brick the device. Therefore, verify the model number of the device by navigating to Settings>> About Tablet.
Steps to install Android 4.1.2 XXDMB1 Jelly Bean on Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 P3100
1) Download Android 4.1.2 P3100XXDMB1 Jelly Bean for Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 to the computer and then extract the firmware zip file
2) Download Odin v1.85, which will help to install the Jelly Bean firmware
3) Turn off the Galaxy tablet. Enter into Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Up button and then press Power button together until the construction Android robot and a triangle appears on the screen. Now press the Power button again to confirm to enter into Download Mode
4) Run Odin on the computer
5) Connect the tablet to the computer using USB cable while it is in the Download Mode. When the tablet is connected to the computer successfully, one of the ID: COM boxes will turn yellow with the COM port number. This step is likely to take some time
6) Now select these files in the order mentioned to install on the tablet
a) Click on PDA and select file with .tar or .tar.md5 extension
b) Click on Phone to select file with MODEM in its name
c) Click on CSC and select file with CSC in its name
d) Click on PIT and select the .pit file
Note: Ignore the last three steps in case such files are not found.
7) In Odin, ensure that the Auto Reboot and F Reset Time options are selected. As of Re-Partition, select it in case a .pit file in being used
8) Now click the Start button in Odin. The installation process will begin now and would take a few minutes to complete
9) After the installation process is completed, the tablet will restart automatically. Once the home screen appears, disconnect the tablet from the computer
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 Plus P3100 should be now updated with official Android 4.1.2 XXDMB1 Jelly Bean firmware. Go to Settings>> About Tablet to verify the software version of the device.
Click here for step-by-step guide to root Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 Plus P3100 running on Android 4.1.2 XXDMB1 Jelly Bean.
[Source: Team Android]