Samsung has released the Android 4.2.2 software update for the Wi-Fi version of the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 (GT-P3113). The official firmware brings several new features, such as redesigned lock screen widgets and enhanced camera and battery life.
The update reportedly makes the Galaxy tablet faster and smoother, as the result of system enhancements for better stability, according to Android ROM Update.
Users who have already installed Android 4.2.2 and are looking for a root method may follow this step-by-step guide. The tutorial uses the CF-Auto-Root file developed by recognised XDA developer Chainfire. The key feature of the root package is that it is firmware independent - it completely supports Android 4.2.2 and future firmware.
It should be noted that rooting a device increases the binary counter, which keeps track of the number of custom firmwares installed on the device. Such installations void the warranty but users can reset the flash counter with the Triangle Away app.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers it will not be held liable for damage to the device. Users are advised to verify the device meets the following requirements.
- Install USB driver for Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 to transfer files between Android device and computer
- Enable USB debugging mode on tablet to connect Android device with computer and use Android SDK [Press Menu > Settings > Applications. From there navigate to and click on Development and then check USB debugging mode]
- As tutorial might wipe data off Galaxy tablet, create a backup. If the device has a custom recovery such as CWM/TWRP installed then backup data using that software
- Galaxy Tab should have above 80% battery charge
- Device should be factory unlocked and not locked to a particular carrier
- Tablet will lose manufacturer's warranty once it is rooted. However, users can reclaim warranty by unrooting device later
- CF-Auto-Root file works only on Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 (P31130. Applying this to an incorrect variant might brick device. Verify model number of Galaxy device by selecting Settings > About Tablet > Model Number
Steps to Root Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 GT-P3113 on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean
Step-1: Download CF-Auto-Root package for Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 to computer
Step-2: Extract downloaded root zip to get CF-Auto-Root-espressowifi-espressowifiue-gtp3113.tar.md5 file
Step-3: Download Odin 3.07. Extract Odin zip to get Odin3 v3.07.exe
Step-4: Power off Galaxy tablet and boot into Download mode. Press and hold Volume Down and Power buttons until construction Android robot icon with warning triangle appears on screen and then press Volume Up to continue into Download mode
Step-5: Run Odin3 v3.07.exe as Administrator
Step-6: Connect tGalaxy Tab to computer using USB cable, while device is in Download mode. Wait till Odin detects tablet. When tablet is connected successfully, an Added message will appear in an Odin message box and the ID: COM box will turn blue with the COM port number
Note: If Added message does not appear, then try connecting to a second USB port (try the one at the rear of the computer). If Odin still fails to detect device then re-install USB driver
Step-7: In Odin, click PDA and select CF-Auto-Root-espressorf-espressorfxx-gtp3100.tar.md5
Step-8: Ensure Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time checkboxes are selected but uncheck Re-Partition option
Step-9: Double-check everything and click Start in Odin to begin installation
Step-10: When flashing process is completed, tablet will restart automatically and a PASS message (against a green background) will appear in a box at the top left of Odin's screen. Unplug USB cable from tablet to disconnect from computer
As the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 (P3113) boots up, it should be rooted successfully on Android 4.2.2 firmware. Users may now install any app that requires root permission. To verify root status of tablet, install Root Checker app from Google Play Store.
[Source: Honai of Android]