Samsung recently released a flurry of Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean updates via official firmware for Galaxy S2 I9100 users. The latest XWLSH official firmware is now available for Australian users of Galaxy S2 via Samsung KIES. However, those who missed the opportunity to update their phone with the latest firmware via KIES software can now download and install the same manually using this guide.
As this is an unbranded firmware, it is expected to work on any unlocked Galaxy S2 anywhere in the world. The update does not feature any bloatware such as unwanted apps or language packs. But, it comes with minor feature enhancements and bug-fixes over the previous build of official release.
New Features of Android 4.1.2 XWLSH Jelly Bean Official Firmware
- Buttery Smooth Performance & Great Stability (Thanks to Project Butter)
- Full User Interface Revamp (Same UI as of the Galaxy S III and Galaxy Note II)
- TouchWiz Nature UX
- Samsung's S Cloud services
- New Lockscreen With Many Customisation Options
- New Features like Direct Call, Smart Stay and Pop-up Play
- New Widgets (From Galaxy S III)
- Free 50GB Dropbox Storage
- 2 Home screen modes
- New Notification bar With More Notification Toggles
- Google Now
Key Points to Note
- Android 4.1.2 XWLSH official firmware and the instructions given in this guide are applicable to the international variant of Galaxy S2 I9100 model only and will not work on any other device. Verify the device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- As this is an official release, root access to the device will be lost soon after flashing the firmware. Just root the phone once again to regain full system access (Super User access) and be able to install third-party root-based apps, custom ROMs and latest system tweaks.
- Back up important data and settings on the phone by using one of the recommended custom recovery tools such as CWM or TWRP, as it creates a complete image of the existing phone setup.
- Ensure that the correct USB drivers are installed for Galaxy S2 I9100 on the computer (download USB drivers).
- Verify that the USB Debugging Mode is enabled on the phone by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if the device is running on Android 4.0 or later) or go to Settings > Applications > Development (if the phone is running on Android 2.3 or earlier).
- Make sure that the phone has at least 85 percent battery charge.
- Double check to ensure that the phone is factory unlocked and not locked to a specific carrier.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK will not be held responsible if the device is damaged during or after the firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
How to Install Official Android 4.1.2 XWLSH Jelly Bean Update on Galaxy S2 I9100
Step 1 - Download Android 4.1.2 XWLSH official firmware for Galaxy S2 on the computer and extract the zip file.
Step 2 - Download ODIN v3.07 which is necessary for installing the official firmware on Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100.
Step 3 - Power off the phone and boot it into Download Mode. To do so, press and hold Volume Down and Home buttons together, and then tap the Power button until the construction Android robot icon with a triangle appears on screen. Hit the Power button again to progress into Download Mode.
Step 4 - Launch ODIN on computer and connect the phone to it while the phone is still in Download Mode.
Step 5 - When the phone connects successfully, one of the ID: COM boxes indicates yellow with the corresponding COM port number. This process may be time-consuming. So, leave it alone.
Step 6 - Choose the files that need to be flashed or installed on the phone, which can be found among the extracted files in Step 1.
- Click the 'PDA' checkbox and choose the file named '.tar' or '.md5'
- Tap on the 'Phone' checkbox and click the file named 'MODEM'. Ignore this step if there is no such file.
- Hit the 'CSC' checkbox and choose the file named 'CSC'. Ignore this step if such file is missing.
- Click the 'PIT' checkbox and select the .pit file. Ignore this step if such file is absent.
Step 7 - In ODIN, enable Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options. In case of Re-Partition option, enable it ONLY if a .pit file is chosen in the previous step.
Step 8 - Now hit Start button in ODIN and the firmware installation process will begin. It would take just a few minutes to complete.
Step 9 - Once the firmware installation completes, the phone will reboot. When the home screen appears, disconnect the phone from computer.
Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 is now successfully updated to Android 4.1.2 XWLSH Jelly Bean official firmware. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware version installed.
Also, check out our step-by-step guide: Root Galaxy S2 I9100 on Official Android 4.1.2 XWLSH Jelly Bean Firmware
[Source: Team Android]