Android 4.1.2 (Jelly Bean) with base version XXEMA2 has been released for the international version of Samsung Galaxy S3 with model number I9300. The firmware reportedly brings performance tweaks and fixes a few bug issues found in the previous build. The XXEMA2 Jelly Bean build has been originally rolled out for users in Singapore and Greece but it is compatible with a few European countries.
Version: Android 4.1.2
Region supported: Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Spain and the UK
Galaxy S3 users can install the XXEMA2 Jelly Bean via OTA and through Samsung Kies. Those who fail to update using both the official procedures may follow the tutorial below to manually update their phones using Odin.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to the device. The Android 4.1.2 XXEMA2 Jelly Bean works only on the Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 not on any other variant; therefore, users are advised to verify the model number of their handsets before following the guide below.
1) Install USB Driver for Samsung Galaxy S3 on the computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and tap on Development option and ensure the USB Debugging is turned on.]
3) Back up all important data of the phone.
4) Verify the battery inside Galaxy S3 should carry charge above 80 per cent.
5) The phone will lose custom ROMs with the installation of official firmware which will replace the custom ROMs. It will also lose custom recovery such as CWM recovery or TWRP recover. Custom recovery will be replaced by stock recovery.
6) The device will be no longer rooted once firmware is installed.
7) Extract the downloaded archive only once. If the zip does not contain any modem, csc or pit file which means those files are not required.
Steps to install Android 4.1.2 XXEMA2 Jelly Bean on Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300
1) Download Android 4.1.2 XXEMA2 Jelly Bean firmware for Galaxy S3 to the computer. Extract the firmware zip to get a .tar file along with some other files
2) Download Odin 3.07 and extract the zip to get Odin3 v3.07.exe with a few other files
3) Turn off the phone. Now place it in Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down, Home and Power buttons together until the Samsung logo appears on the screen. Wait for a few seconds and the device will be in Download Mode soon
4) Run Odin on the computer
5) Connect the Galaxy S3 to the computer using a USB cable while it is in the Download Mode. A message saying 'Added' will arrive under Odin's message box. If the phone is connected successfully, the COM port with a number in Yellow will also appear
Note: In case the Added message does not come then try another USB port, try the port located at the back side of the computer. If that fails to work then reinstall the driver.
6) Select these files, extracted from the XXEMA2 folder, in the mentioned order to install on the phone
a) Click the PDA button and select the .tar.md5 file with Code in its name
b) Click the Phone button and select file with Modem in its name
c) Click the CSC button and select file with CSC in its name
d) Click the PIT button and select the .pit file
Note: Ignore the last three steps in case such files are not found.
7) Ensure Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time checkboxes in Odin are selected. Also verify Re-Partition checkbox is selected, if a .pit file is being used
8) Now click the Start button in Odin to begin installation
9) Once the installation process is completed, the phone will automatically reboot and soon a 'Pass' message with green background will arrive in the extreme left box at the top of Odin. Now, unplug the USB cable from the phone to disconnect it from the computer
Note: In case the Galaxy S3 gets stuck at booting animation (after step-9) then enter recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together. In recovery mode, perform a data wiping task by selecting Wipe Data/Factory Reset and then select Reboot System now.
Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 is now updated and running on Android 4.1.2 XXEMA2 Jelly Bean official firmware. Navigate to Settings>> About Phone to verify the software running on the phone.
Click here to know how to root Galaxy S3 I9300 running on Android 4.1.2 XXEMA2 Jelly Bean.
[Source: Android Jinn]