Now that the truth is finally out, people can be held accountable. Reuters

The documents detailing what happened at the Hillsborough football stadium 23 years ago have finally been released to the families of the victims and the public. They reveal grave negligence and a cover-up that went on for almost a quarter of a century - denying justice to the 96 fans who died, the countless others who were injured and the families caught in the middle.

David Cameron gave an unequivocal apology to the victims and families affected by what took place in the FA Cup semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest in 1989. The cover-up was on a grand scale and has now been laid bare. It could finally lead to those who wronged the fans and their families being held accountable.

As Andy Burnham and Steve Rotheram said in their statement, today comes truth, and tomorrow comes justice.

One member of the fight for justice is Anne Williams, who has refused to pick up the death certificate for her son Kevin. There are eyewitness claims that her 15-year-old boy was still alive after the 3:15pm cut-off date, set by coroner Dr Stephan Popper who ruled that none of the 96 casualties could have survived beyond that time.

Anne Williams will be one of many looking for a new inquest into her son's death, with the report saying that up to 59 people could have been saved after 3:15pm. Thirty-one people who eventually perished had heart and lung function after the crush and could have survived past that time.

With the information now out in the open and new evidence suggesting that the initial accidental death finding by Popper was incorrect, attorney general Dominic Grieve can apply to the high court to quash the original inquest and ask for a new one.

The government can ask the Attorney General to make this move but cannot interfere with the decision-making process, although Cameron said in his speech to parliament today that Grieve would come to a decision as soon as possible.

Test case

Williams's case in particular, with a heavy weight of evidence behind it including a police officer who claimed her son was alive until nearly 4pm, could be used as a test case for other families trying to find out how their loved ones really died in the disaster.

Inquests aside, the apologies of those who were involved in the cover-up will be paramount for families looking for closure.

One of those expected to apologise is Kelvin MacKenzie, who edited the article splashed all over The Sun in the days following the disaster, The article he entitled "The Truth" claimed that fans had urinated on the dead and robbed fellow supporters as they were dying on the pitch.

The head of the police operations on the day, David Duckenfield, has never been successfully prosecuted for his actions, which included, the panel's report confirms, allowing the gate to be opened that let scores of Liverpool fans into an already overcrowded area. He then had a hand in covering up the evidence, though a private prosecution in 2000 was unable to bring about a verdict over whether he had acted negligently.

Norman Bettison was among other officers accused of manipulating evidence, and while many have since retired, Bettison is now the chief constable of West Yorkshire Police. Scrutiny will now no doubt take place into his role and the role of many other police officers in the cover-up.

Duckenfield cannot be recharged with manslaughter. A judge ruled in 2000 that he could not be charged with the offence again as a fair trial was not possible.

As for The Sun, will it report an apology over their coverage of events? Keep an eye on tomorrow's papers to see if it does.