In a shocking incident, a hospital in the Indian capital city of Delhi mistakenly declared a newborn dead and handed the baby over to its parents in a plastic bag. The parents were shocked when they felt some movement inside the bag and realised that one of the twins was, in fact, still alive.

India Today reports that the incident took place on Thursday, 30 November, when a 20-year-old woman gave birth to twins at Max Super Speciality Hospital in Shalimar Bagh area of the city. Doctors declared one the babies stillborn and later reported that the second baby had died soon after delivery.

Staff at the hospital then wrapped the bodies in paper and put them in two different plastic bags. The parents said they noticed one of the babies squirming inside the plastic bag when they were on their way to the burial ground. It was then that they realised that one of the twins was still alive.

The baby is reportedly on life support at a hospital.

Recounting the ordeal, the grandfather of the baby said, "I was told by the doctors that one baby is already dead while second baby needs to be admitted which will cost INR 100,000 per day (£1,150) and total cost will come to around 50 lacs [5 million] rupees.

"Later, doctors told us that even the second baby has died. We were given two packets with [a] baby inside each packet. On our way to burial ground, we [felt] some leg movement in the packet containing [the] baby boy. We opened it and admitted the baby in a nearby nursing home."

The incident has sparked outrage in the city, with people questioning the quality of private healthcare, which is often expensive. Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal tweeted that he had ordered an inquiry, while the state health minister described the incident as "shocking criminal negligence".

"We have started an inquiry and investigation in this case, also consulting legal experts," Delhi Police spokesperson Deependra Pathak said.

Meanwhile, local media reported that the hospital had taken responsibility for the shocking incident and called it "unfortunate".

The hospital issued a statement saying they "were shaken and concerned at this rare incident", adding an enquiry has been initiated.

"The concerned doctor has been asked to proceed on leave immediately. We are in constant touch with the parents and are providing all the needed support," the statement added.