Motorola has begun rolling out Android Lollipop for the high-end Moto Maxx with soak test in Brazil and Mexico. The retail unit of Moto Maxx should get the Android Lollipop treatment first via soak test. The upgrade is rolling out to smaller test groups and if everything goes well, Motorola will push out the software to more phones.
If the OTA for soak test has not reached your region, you can install it manually, even if you have rooted you Moto Maxx, using the following installation guide shared by senior XDA member, respider.
Those who have rooted their Moto Maxx and are trying to install the Lollipop OTA (soak test) might get errors due to the modifications to the system. Just removing the SuperSU root file will not be enough, you will have to restore your Motorola phone to stock, advises respider.
- Motorola Moto Maxx should have above 80% battery.
- Set up ADB and Fastboot on your PC, or, download the Minimal Fastboot tool. Unzip it and rename it to fastboot.exe.
- Install Motorola USB Drivers on your computer.
- Enable USB debugging mode on the phone.
How to install Android 5.0.2 OTA soak test on Moto Maxx XT1225
Step-1: Open SuperSU and navigate to the configurations option
Step-2: Click Uninstall root to remove root permission on your device
Step-3: Also remove BusyBox, Xposed or any other root apps
Note: If your device is not rooted, then skip the above steps.
Step-4: Download and extract the Brazilian KitKat firmware (from the above link) on your PC in the same directory where you have saved the fastboot files. After extracting you should get stock recovery, kernel, and a bunch of system partition files
Step-5: Open a command prompt inside the fastboot folder. Right click in an empty space inside the folder holding Shift key and choose open command windows here from the menu
Step-6: Connect your Moto Maxx to the computer
Step-7: Reboot the phone into bootloader mode by executing the following command
- adb reboot bootloader
Step-8: Install stock recovery and kernel using the following commands
- fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- fastboot flash boot boot.img
Step-9: Install the stock system files in the following order using the command
- fastboot .exe flash system system.img_sparsechunk.0
- fastboot .exe flash system system.img_sparsechunk.1
- fastboot .exe flash system system.img_sparsechunk.2
- fastboot .exe flash system system.img_sparsechunk.3
- fastboot .exe flash system system.img_sparsechunk.4
Step-10: You Moto Maxx will be running stock Android KitKat firmware
Step-11: Download the OTA file and copy it to the directory where you have the ADB files installed
Step-12: Reboot your phone into stock recovery and select install zip from ADB
Step-13: Open a command prompt in the ADB folder and issue the following command to sideload the OTA file
- adb sideload Blur-Version.21.11.9.quark_retbr.en.BR.zip
Note: The OTA file name should match with the name of the downloaded file.
Step-14: Wait for some time until the OTA is flashed
Step-15: Finally reboot the phone
Your Moto Maxx should now be running Android 5.0.2 soak test firmware.