Like a number of Android devices, last year's flagship model from LG, the LG G2 has also received the unofficial version of CyanogenMod 12 (CM12) featuring Android 5.0 Lollipop.
Recognised XDA contributor and developer, Rashed97 has released the CM12 custom firmware, which supports a number of variants of LG G2 such as D800 (for AT&T), D801 (for T-Mobile), D802 (for Europe), LS980 (for Sprint) and VS980 (for Verizon).
The developer promises to add other variants like L01F, D803 and F320 eventually. Check out the working and non-working features in this build.
What is working
- NFC (on all EXCEPT the LS980, I'm testing a fix)
- Notification lights
- All accelometers/sensors
- Google Apps
- Most Project Volta related enhancements
- All native apps
- Most audio
- Airplane Mode
- Wi-Fi tether
What doesn't work
- Video recording
- CM features (yet to be ported)
- Data/Mobile Network on LS/VS980 report roaming incorrectly sometimes
- GPS for some people
CM12 ROM info
- ROM OS Version: 5.0.x Lollipop
- ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
- ROM firmware required: Jellybean Bootloader
- Based on: CyanogenMod
- Status: Testing
- Build date: 18 November
If you are interested in experiencing the Android 5.0 on your LG G2 using the unofficial CM build, head over to the installation guide. As the CyanogenMod build is still under testing, you will get bug issues with the installation of the update. Hence, installation will be at your own risk.
- Create a backup of all the data of the phone using custom recovery.
- Ensure that the Android device has above 80% charge.
- Enable USB debugging on LG G2. Go to Settings>> About Phone then tap on the Build Number five times. Again return to Settings>> Development Settings>> check the USB debugging option.
- Ensure that you are using the zv8 bootloader on the LS980 and the 12b bootloader on the VS980. Click here for help.
- The phone should be rooted and have the latest version of either CWM or TWRP recovery. Recommended recoveries for this ROM are:
- TWRP: 22.214.171.124 or greater
- CWM: 126.96.36.199 or greater
- PhilZ: 188.8.131.52
- Check the model number of LG G2 and install the CM12 build accordingly. Installing incorrect build could brick the phone.
- The CM build is going through test, therefore bugs are likely.
- IBTimes UK will not be held liable for any damage to the device.
SuperSU for Lollipop Beta (if you want root access)
How to install Android 5.0 Lollipop on LG G2 with unofficial CyanogenMod 12 build
Step-1: Download the appropriate CM12 and Gapps file for your LG G2
Step-2: Copy the downloaded files to a safe location on your phone and remember the location
Step-3: Boot the phone into recovery mode. For this first switch off the phone then hold Volume Down and Power buttons together. When the LG logo appears release the buttons then press them again. Then press the Power button three times
Note: In recovery mode use the Volume rockers to navigate between options and Power button to select the desired option.
Step-4: In recovery mode create a Nandroid backup, if something goes wrong you would be able to restore the current set up easily. For this select backup and restore
Step-5: Perform wiping task in the recovery mode. Select wipe data/factory reset and confirm the action. Then select wipe cache partition
Step-6: Return to the recovery menu and select advance and choose wipe dalvik cache
Step-7: Go to the recovery menu and select install zip from SD card then choose zip from SD card. Locate the CM12 ROM, select it and confirm installation
Step-8: Once the ROM is installed, repeat the similar process to flash Gapps
Step-9: After the installation process is completed, reboot the phone by selecting reboot system now
You should be now able to enjoy Android 5.0 features on your LG G2 with the unofficial CM custom firmware.