Google has started an initiative it calls a Preview Program for its voice-activated smart speaker. The scheme lets Google Home-owners try out new features and updates before their official release.
Ostensibly a platform for Google to test new firmware before a broader roll-out, Preview members are guaranteed updates to the Google Assistant-powered smart speaker that are "the same quality as production version updates".
Home joins Google's Chromecast range as a possible Preview device, although only a limited number of places are available for would-be early adopters. To sign up, simply follow the steps below;
If the option listed do not appear then it seems you are currently out of luck, with Google noting on a help page: "If you don't see [the] Preview Program, we aren't accepting new members at this time."
How to join Google Home's Preview Program
- From your phone or tablet, open the Google Home app.
- In the upper right corner of the home screen, tap Devices to see your available Chromecast and Google Home devices.
- Scroll to find the device card for the device you'd like to enroll in the Preview Program.
- In the top right corner of the device card, tap the device card menu.
- Tap Settings > Preview Program.
- Choose whether to receive email notifications by moving the slider to the right or left.
- If you opt in to email notifications, you will be asked to sign into your Google account if you have not already.
- Review the contents of that page, and tap Join Program.
- Review the contents of the page, then tap OK, GOT IT.