Chainfire's SuperSU root tool now supports the LG G4, allowing users to install root, change system partition and use apps that require root permission such as Titanuim backup, Xposed and its modules.
The root is currently available for the H815 model of G4, the international European model. This is because its manufacturer is allowing unlocking of bootloader for the aforementioned model only. Other variants will have to wait as LG has promised to add more devices with unlockable bootloaders.
Once the bootloader is unlocked, installing the root is as simple as flashing any other recovery flashable file. Following is a step-by-step guide to root the new LG phone.
- The following root method is for the LG G4 H815 only. Do not apply this on any other device.
- Ensure that you have created a backup of all the data of your phone, as the root method is likely to wipe out everything.
- Rooting the device will void the manufacturer's warranty.
- The battery of the phone should have at least 80% charge to avoid any sudden shut down due to lack of power, which could damage the device.
- IBTimes UK will not be held liable for any damage to the device during the process. Proceed at your own risk.
How to root LG G4 H815 with SuperSU
Step-1: Unlock the bootloader of LG G4. This step is must, as without unlocking the device you will not be able to install custom recovery
Step-3: Install TWRP recovery
Step-4: Download SuperSU root package
File name: UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip
Step-5: Connect the phone to your PC with USB
Step-6: Copy the root package to the phone's storage and remember the location
Step-7: Reboot the phone into recovery mode. Open a command window in the folder where you have saved the TWRP recovery. Hold the Shift key, right-click on an empty space inside the folder. A drop down menu will show up, select Open command window here
A command (cmd) window will open. Execute the following command in the command window and press Enter
- adb reboot recovery
Step-8: In recovery, tap on Install then browse to the location where you have saved the SuperSU file, select it and do a swipe on the Swipe to Confirm Flash option
Step-9: On the next screen you should see successful written in blue text. Reboot the phone by selecting Reboot>> System. Wait until the phone boots up
You will now be able to enjoy root apps on your G4.