Galaxy S3 Mini (GT-I8190) is among the lucky few devices to receive an unofficial Lollipop update via Android 5.0 AOSP ROM, thanks to the industrious NovaFusion custom ROM developers.
The ROM seems to be partly functional at the moment as several key features are still dead except for basics like Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, GPS and other sensors with limited functionality.
Some of the features that are currently non-functional or broken are as follows:
- RIL (phone/SMS/3G) doesn't work [WIP]
- Audio (both speakers/headphones/microphone) doesn't work at all
- GPS/Glonass doesn't work
- This release doesn't support f2fs yet, only ext4 file system. Remember to wipe data/cache partitions as ext4 before flashing this ROM!
- Camera doesn't work at all
- Missing part of OMXes implementation (so there's no fully HW video acceleration)
Those who wish to upgrade their Galaxy S3 Mini to Lollipop update with basic features enabled can go ahead and install the NovaFusion's AOSP ROM, using the simple step-by-step guide given below.
IBTimes UK reminds readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to device during or after AOSP ROM installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- The instructions given in this guide are meant for the international variant of GalaxyS3 Mini with model number I8190 only. Verify device model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Ensure the phone has at at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing the ROM.
- Back up data and settings using a recommended custom recovery tool, like ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP, as it creates a complete image of the existing phone setup. In Recovery, choose Backup and Restore and tap Backup.
- Verify correct USB drivers for the phone are installed on the computer (download Galaxy S3 mini USB drivers).
- Ensure that the device is rooted with CWM recovery installed and its bootloader is unlocked.
Steps to Update Galaxy S3 Mini GT-I8190 with Android 5.0 Lollipop Port via AOSP ROM
- Copy the downloaded ROM zip file to the phone's internal storage.
- Boot the Galaxy S3 Mini into Recovery mode by powering off the device and then pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power button at the same time. NOTE: In recovery mode, use Volume keys to navigate between options and Power key to select the desired option.
- Perform Wipe data/Factory reset (this will delete all apps and their settings and game progress) and choose Yes on next screen to confirm the action. Then perform Wipe Cache Partition (ext4) and once again hit Yes to confirm.
- Return to CWM recovery main menu and select Mounts and Storage> Format / data and click Yes on next screen to confirm.
- From the main menu of CWM recovery, go to Advanced and choose Wipe Dalvik Cache. Then hit Yes on next screen to confirm.
- Select Install Zip from sdcard and then click Choose zip from sdcard. Browse to the location of the official firmware file which you copied earlier to your phone's SD card. Choose Yes on next screen to confirm the ROM installation.
- Repeat the previous step to install Gapps as well.
- Once Gapps is also installed, select "+++++Go Back+++++"and reboot the device by tapping reboot system now from the recovery menu. Your Galaxy S3 will restart and it may take about 5 minutes for first boot. So, do not interrupt the process.
- Your Galaxy S3 Mini I8190 is now running on unofficial Android 5.0 Lollipop update. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware installed.
NOTE: If the device gets stuck at boot loop (while rebooting), then just do a factory reset from recovery mode to fix the issue.