Steve Bruce
Bruce had to be held back after he was enraged by Poyet Getty

Steve Bruce hopes the details behind his spat with Gus Poyet remain between the two of them after the Sunderland and Hull City managers clashed during Tuesday's 1-1 draw at the KC Stadium.

Black Cats midfielder Jack Rodwell was booked for simulation 10 minutes before half time, prompting Poyet to kick over a crate of drinks in fury.

The Uruguayan was then sent to the stands by referee Mike Dean, but before doing so he approached Bruce and attempted to shake his hand. The two then exchanged more words before Poyet appeared to sarcastically applaud his fellow manager. The Hull boss then lunged at his Sunderland counterpart, having to be restrained by the fourth official and his own coaching staff.

While Bruce suggested it was Poyet's approach that provoked the touchline melee, he admits both him and Poyet were "grown men acting like children".

"I think what he said stays between me and him. If he wants to reveal why I have gone on like some raging idiot then it is up to him," Bruce said.

"I am sure everyone now will be lip-reading to see what he said to me but it wasn't very pleasant like: 'Have a nice evening Steve'. Was him offering his hand sarcastic? Yes it was.

"These things happen in the heat of the moment. Grown men acting like a couple of children. They happen in big games.

"We all do stupid things and tomorrow morning we wake up to stupid headlines. To be fair, it was handbags. Let's go and have a glass of red."

Poyet added: "I know it doesn't look good [kicking the crate of drinks over] but it's nothing to worry about. I prefer that than saying something I would regret. I'm old fashioned. What happens on the pitch stays on the pitch. There are no problems for me at all."

He added: "In football things happen. I have to convince the officials not to put any buckets of drinks around me. I have no regrets whatsoever."

On the pitch, it was Dame N'Doye who put Hull ahead with an early opener but Rodwell's header with 15 minutes remaining saw the Black Cats rescue a valuable point.