The international version of Galaxy S3 (GT-I9300) has received a new stock firmware build I9300XWUGML4 based on Android 4.3 Jelly Bean.
Version: Android 4.3 Jelly Bean
Build date: 27 December
The update is currently available in some of the Asian countries including India. It can be installed as an OTA update and through Samsung Kies.
Those who failed to update their devices to I9300XWUGML4 Android 4.3 using either of the official methods for being region-specific may follow our step-by-step guide to install the update manually. Like any other unbranded firmware, the I9300XWUGML4 build can be installed on any unlocked GT-I9300 unit, regardless of country and region.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held responsible for any damage to the device. Before installing the official firmware, users are advised to verify their devices meet following requirements.
1) Install USB Drivers for Samsung Galaxy S3 to connect the Android device with the computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Go to Settings>> Developer Options to enable USB Debugging Mode.]
3) As the tutorial is likely to wipe out all data of the phone, create a backup. If the device is having any custom recoveries such as CWM/TWRP then backup data using the same.
4) If the Android phone powers off due to lack of battery while the installation process, it could damage the device. Therefore, the Galaxy S3 should have charge above 80% battery charge.
5) The device should be factory unlocked and not locked to a particular carrier.
6) The phone will lose custom ROM with the installation of official firmware. Also, the custom recovery such as CWM/TWRP will be replaced by the stock version.
7) The device will no longer belong to a rooted version with the installation of official firmware.
8) I9300XWUGML4 Android 4.3 Jelly Bean firmware works only with Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300. As flashing this on any other variant might brick the device, verify the model number of Galaxy S3 by navigating to Settings>> About phone>> Model number.
How to install I9300XWUGML4 Android 4.3 Jelly Bean on Samsung Galaxy S3
Step-2: Extract the downloaded firmware zip using winrar/7zip/winzip or any other extracting tool to get a .tar.md5 file with few other files
Step-3: Download Odin v3.07 and extract it to get Odin3 v3.07.exe with some other files
Step-4: Switch off Galaxy S3
Step-5: Boot the phone into Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down, Home and Power buttons together until a construction Android robot icon with a warning triangle appears on the phone screen. Now press the Volume Up button to enter Download Mode
Step-6: Run Odin3 v3.07.exe as Administrator [To do so, right click on Odin.exe file then click on Run as administrator from context menu.]
Step-7: Connect the Galaxy S3 to computer using USB cable while it is in Download mode. Wait for some time until Odin detects the device. When the phone is connected successfully an Added message will appear under Odin. Also, the ID: COM box in Odin will turn blue with COM port number, indicating successful connection
Note: If the Added message does not come then try another USB port, try the one located at the back side of the computer. If Odin still fails to recognise the device, then re-install USB driver.
Step-8: Select these files extracted from I9300XWUGML4folder to install on the phone
a) Click the PDA button and select the .tar.md5 file
b) Click the Phone button and select file with MODEM in its name
c) Click the CSC button and select file with CSC in its name
d) Click the PIT button and select the .pit file
Note: Ignore the last three steps (step-b, c and d) if such files do not exist.
Step-9: In Odin enable Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time checkboxes. But uncheck Re-Partition option, select it only when a .pit file is being used
Step-10: Double check everything and click the Start button in Odin. The installation process should begin now and take about few minutes to complete
Step-11: When the installation process is completed, the phone will restart automatically and soon a PASS message with green background will appear in the extreme left box at the very top of Odin. Disconnect the phone from the computer
The Galaxy S3 should now be updated with I9300XWUGML4Android 4.3 Jelly Bean latest stock firmware. Navigate to Settings>> About phone to verify the new firmware version running on the device.
How to fix bootloop issue
If the Galaxy S3 gets stuck at booting animation (after step-11) then go to recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power and buttons together.
In recovery mode, perform Wipe data/factory reset and then Wipe Cache Partition. Once the action is completed, reboot the phone by selecting reboot system now. Again in recovery mode, use Volume keys to scroll between options and Power button to select the desired option. Performing wiping task will erase the phone's internal memory data.
Those users who have already installed I9300XWUGML4Android 4.3 on their devices may follow our step-by-step guide to root Galaxy S3 on Android 4.3 Jelly Bean.
[Source: Honai of Android]