The jockey Freddy Tylicki has been paralysed in a four-horse pile-up at Kempton Park racecourse on Monday. The German-born jockey was airlifted to St George's Hospital in Tooting, London, and it has now been revealed that he has lost movement from the waist down.
Doctors have diagnosed the 30-year-old with a T7 paralysis resulting from spinal injuries from the accident, meaning he can still articulate his upper body. He remains in intensive care in the south London hospital, following surgery at the major trauma unit.
The meeting was abandoned after Tylicki fell from Nellie Deen, halfway through a one-mile maiden for fillies. Two other jockeys were injured, while another escaped unharmed.
The Injured Jockeys Fund revealed the news last night. In a statement, CEO Lisa Hancock said: "Freddy remains in intensive care and is not receiving any visitors for the foreseeable future.
"His family would like to thank the St George's staff for the care he has received. As this is a very difficult time for Freddy and his family, they would like to thank everyone for their good wishes, and for continuing to respect their privacy."
Jim Crowley, riding Electrify, sustained a broken nose, and Ted Durcan broke his ankle when he fell from Sovrano Dolce. The fourth jockey, Steve Drowne, escaped unharmed from Skara Mae.
Drowne told media: "It just shakes you. Obviously being there the other day you could kind of guess it was pretty serious, but you always hope and think it will be OK. The news seemed a bit positive for a while, but it is just sickening. I've never known a mood like that in the weighing room. It has certainly shaken us, it could have been any one of us."
Tylicki was the champion apprentice back in 2009, and had been enjoying a strong year, winning two Group One races.