Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho has told club chiefs to make a bid for Everton full-back Seamus Coleman in January, according to reports. The Sunday People has claimed that Mourinho wants to sign an established right-back with plenty of Premier League experience to provide competition to Antonio Valencia.

The Portuguese coach is reported to be unimpressed with Matteo Darmian, who has made only one appearance for United this season – the 1-0 Europa League defeat against Feyenoord.

Reports suggest that the Italy international will move back to Serie A in January, with Juventus, Napoli, AC Milan and Inter Milan touted as possible destinations. His likely exit will open up a spot in the United squad, which Mourinho hopes to fill by bringing in Coleman.

A move for the Republic of Ireland defender is bound to be complicated as Everton manager Ronald Koeman feels the 27-year-old is an integral member of his squad.

With the Toffees having sold John Stones to Manchester City in the summer, Koeman would be reluctant to lose another key defender in January. Coleman has three years left on his Goodison Park contract. He made 28 Premier League appearances for Everton last season and scored one goal.

Seamus Coleman
Seamus Coleman has made four league appearances for Everton this season Getty Images

Earlier this month there were reports suggesting that Mourinho was also interested in signing centre-back Jose Fonte from Southampton. The Portuguese coach signed one defender in the summer – Ivory Coast centre-back Eric Bailly, 22, from Villarreal for £30m ($37m).

Aside from wanting more experience in the back four, Mourinho was reported to be conscious of the fact that Bailly will be unavailable in January while he competes in the African Cup of Nations.

However, Old Trafford bosses have told him that he must trim one defender from this squad if he wants to sign the £10m-rated Fonte, who has made six league appearances for Southampton this season.

He starred for Portugal in their victorious Euro 2016 campaign and has a contract with the Saints until 2018.