La Liga chairman Javier Tebas has revealed Real Madrid's version of the collapse of David De Gea's transfer from Manchester United is closer to the truth than the one provided by the Premier League giants. Tebas said that La Liga laments the deal not going through because having a player such as De Gea would have been good for the reputation of the competition. But he insisted they couldn't do anything as the clubs failed to fulfil the rules.
The deal between Rafa Benitez's side and United, which would have taken Costa Rica goalkeeper Keylor Navas the other way, collapsed when the paperwork did not arrive at La Liga headquarters on time, despite both teams agreeing on the move. Real Madrid made an official statement on Tuesday (1 September) claiming they did everything they could and blaming United for the fiasco.
The Spanish giants accused the Premier League club of sending incomplete data to Fifa's Transfer Matching System and taking eight hours to make minor changes to Navas' contract – leaving Real without the time to process the deal, using Fifa's transfer matching system, and register the contracts in La Liga. The Red Devils responded with a statement of their own, denying Real's accusation and claiming Rafa Benitez's side were culpable for the move's breakdown, and insisting they are "delighted that its fan-favourite double Player of the Year remains a Manchester United player".
La Liga chairman Tebas has now clarified the situation, saying Los Blancos contacted him after the transfer window closed at midnight on Monday (31 August), but insisting the club didn't pressure him for special treatment.
"I am a lawyer and I know that in these situations there are two, three or four versions of events. As far as La Liga is concerned, it is a handicap that De Gea is not here. I would have liked to see him play in La Liga because he is a Spanish goalkeeper and an excellent one, but due to the circumstances that unfolded it wasn't to be. What happened, as far as I know, is closest to the version given by Real Madrid," Tebas told Spanish paper AS.
"As far as La Liga is concerned there is no David de Gea case because the player has not been registered for the competition and the necessary documentation was not presented in the stipulated time," he said. "I had a conversation with Real Madrid, they rang me on Monday night. They gave me their explanations but in the knowledge that the deadline had been missed. They know how it works. I didn't feel any pressure. Madrid explained their situation after midnight. I understood their position and that of the player but there was nothing I could do. They didn't call to ask for any kind of special treatment because Madrid understand the rules."