tube strike london underground
A 63-year-old man is believed to have been stabbed on the London Underground Oli Scarff/Getty Images

Armed police are searching for a suspect on the London Underground after a man was left with cuts to his face and body at Finsbury Park. A 63-year-old man is suspected to have been injured in an attack on the Tube station in north London. The Victoria line is currently disrupted due to the incident.

A British Transport Police (BTP) spokesman said: "We were called to Finsbury Park Underground station at 1.48pm following a report of an injured man. Officers attended the southbound Victoria line platform, alongside colleagues from the London Ambulance Service. A 63-year-old man was taken to hospital with cuts to his body and face.

"Armed BTP officers searching for a possible suspect met a southbound Victoria line train at King's Cross St Pancras Underground station and conducted a search of the train. No arrests have been made at this time. Victoria line services have been disrupted due to this incident."

The man has since been taken to hospital but is believed to have suffered life-threatening injuries. One witness to the incident, Liam O'Hare, told LBC: "I was on the platform at Finsbury Park and saw what seemed like an altercation between two guys further down the platform.

"I got on the train and didn't think it looked too serious at the time, then one of the guys who also got on the carriage further down from me said he looked in bad shape and there was blood everywhere. A couple of passengers managed to help him off. It all happened very quickly."

He added: "I didn't see what happened to the other guy, he ran off to somewhere to another platform or out of the station. Everyone was in a bit of a state of shock. The carriage had blood all over it where the guy had been. Every time the train stopped people got on and had to step over this puddle of blood. It was surreal."

O'Hare added other witnesses said they saw "some kind of blade" was used during the altercation, but he did not see it himself. He wrote on Twitter: "Should mention that I didn't see the weapon myself but others passengers around me did. Wounds, fingers crossed, did not seem life-threatening."