Barcelona have been blocked from officially unveiling Luis Suarez after Fifa clarified that the Uruguay international's four-month ban from football activities prohibits him from being officially presented to the media and fans following the completion of his move from Liverpool this week.

The Catalan club confirmed last week that an agreement had been reached with Liverpool over the signing of Suarez, who was expected to this week travel to the Nou Camp to undergo a medical before being presented to local press and club supporters.

However, Fifa have confirmed that after permitting Suarez to complete a medical and agree terms with Barcelona, that an official club unveiling breaches the terms of the four-month ban imposed on the 27 year old after biting Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini in a World Cup group match in June.

Fifa's head of media Delia Fischer said: "The ban relates to all football-related activity. He cannot be in a football-related public event irrespective of the venue. He cannot even be involved in a football-related charity event."

The four-time European champions have previously paraded new signings Cesc Fabregas and Neymar to big crowds at the Nou Camp upon them joining the club, but Suarez's indiscretion denies him such an opportunity after he completes his move from Liverpool this week.

Suarez failed in an appeal to Fifa against the ban last week but can go to the Court of Arbitration for Sport in order to see the punishment reduced. The former Ajax forward is banned from all football related activities until the end of October.

Liverpool confirmed last week that an agreement had been reached with Barcelona for the sale of Suarez, who scored 31 Premier league goals last term in helping the club return to the Champions League.

Though his spell in English football was littered with controversy, Suarez leaves Liverpool as one of the club's finest players in recent years and in a statement to supporters on Friday admitted he departs Anfield with a heavy heart.

"I have fallen in love with the incredible fans," Suarez said. "You have always supported me and we, as a family, will never forget it, we will always be Liverpool supporters.

"I hope you can all understand why I have made this decision. This club did all they could to get me to stay, but playing and living in Spain, where my wife's family live, is a lifelong dream and ambition. I believe now the timing is right.

"I wish Brendan Rodgers and the team well for the future. The club is in great hands and I'm sure will be successful again next season.