A heavy metal guitarist has died eight days after getting married from a blood clot caused by breaking his ankle on his stag do, according to the Sun.

Ben Aucott, 40, married his fiancée Sam Aucott in a ceremony at Hinckley Register Office on 1 August.

He spent his wedding day on crutches and a wheelchair after he tripped and broke his ankle on a stag night in Nottingham.

After spending four days in hospital, where doctors pinned his ankle which was broken in two places, Ben was released. However, he collapsed on the evening of 9 August and the medical staff were unable to revive him.

The doctor's suspect a blood clot caused by the injury travelled up his leg and blocked his heart, causing him to collapse, the Sun reported.

Sam Aucott, who had a young daughter with the graphic designer, is said to be "beyond devastated". She wrote on Facebook: "He was truly a fantastic man with many great qualities. He made me the woman I am today.

"Nothing in this world compares to the soul wrenching pain I feel now, but I know he'd be very thankful for everyone's help and support. Thank you all again.

"To my adoring husband, father, friend and brilliant musician. Forever rest in peace sweetheart loving wife forever."

Tributes were also paid by the surviving members of Mage.

"Some sad news from Mage. Yesterday [August 10] our friend, brother and guitarist Ben Aucott sadly passed away," said a message on their website. "As some of you know Ben got married last Saturday and leaves behind a wife and daughter… and many very sad friends.

"We are heartbroken beyond words. RIP Ben. We love you buddy."

Andy Moore, the couple's best man and drummer of Mage, told the Leicester Mercury that Ben's death had devastated his friends and family.

He said: "None of us can believe that Ben has gone. It is surreal. One week we are celebrating one of the happiest days of Ben's life and the next week he is dead."

"He had just got married to the woman he loved and was looking to a great future together. The wedding day was fantastic but they did not go on honeymoon because Ben was still in pain due to his leg."

Andy confirmed that the last time he saw Ben – who also worked as a graphic designer – alive was on his 40<sup>th birthday on 5 August.

Mage's Facebook account was inundated with tributes by wellwishers.