Galaxy S4 Google Play Edition (GPe) devices have started receiving the highly-anticipated Android 5.0 Lollipop update with build LRX21P via official over-the-air (OTA) release around the globe, just a few days ago.
It is now possible to manually install the OTA firmware for Lollipop update on your Galaxy S4 (GPe), especially if you are craving for stock Android experience that is bloatware free.
Among the noteworthy features, the Galaxy S4 GPe comes with vanilla Android interface for a buttery smooth experience in contrast to Samsung's resource hogging native TouchWiz interface that is found on regular Galaxy devices.
The OTA update for Android 5.0 build LRX21P weighs around 491MB and it can be updated live via Settings > About Phone > System updates.
However, those who messed up their software with custom ROMs or cannot access the live OTA update for some reason can also install this update manually, using our step-by-step guide given below.
IBTimes UK reminds readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to device during or after the Android 5.0 firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
1. Install necessary USB Drivers for Galaxy S4 Google Play Edition on the computer.
2. USB Debugging Mode should be enabled on the phone by navigating to Settings >> Developer Options.
3. Back up your important data to avoid potential data loss during firmware installation.
4. Ensure the phone is factory unlocked (not locked to any specific carrier).
5. Verify Galaxy S4 GPe has at least 80% battery charge.
6. The Android 5.0 LRX21P firmware is compatible with Galaxy S4 Google Play Edition only. Do not attempt installing it on incorrect variants as it may brick the device. Verify the model number of the Galaxy S4 by navigating to Settings >> About Phone.
Steps to flash Android 5.0 Lollipop build LRX21P OTA on Galaxy S4 GPe via ADB Sideload
- Download and extract the ADB files on your computer
- Launch command prompt in the ADB folder by right-clicking in the folder's empty space while holding the Shift key
- Connect the phone to computer via USB cable and reboot it into recovery mode. You can do this via Reboot Manager app (download from here)
- In the recovery mode, open the ADB Sideload menu
- If using TWRP, you can find it via Advanced > ADB Sideload
- For CWM, you can find it via Install > Install Zip from Sideload
- Copy the Zip file you want to install on your device to the ADB folder
- Start the ADB sideload in recovery mode by entering the following command via command prompt: adb sideload
- At this moment, a progress bar should appear in the command prompt indicating that the Zip file is being copied to the device. Once the file is transferred, the Zip is automatically installed on your device
- Reboot your device once the Zip file is installed on your device
Android 5.0 Lollipop build LRX21P is now installed on your Galaxy S4 Google Play Edition and you can verify the firmware installed via Settings > About Phone.
[Source: Droid Views]