At least six people were killed on 20 February in series of random shootings in the city of Kalamazoo in Michigan. Gunman Jason Dalton was taken into custody on 21 February morning after reportedly surrendering to police when they found him in his car with weapons.

The manhunt for Dalton is believed to have lasted five hours and police said that the 45-year-old suspect did not resist when approached. Very little is still known about the suspect, however, local media has reported that Dalton does not have a criminal history.

Kalamazoo County Prosecutor Jeffrey Getting told WoodTV that Dalton had been in contact with someone during the shooting, however, he did not disclose further details. The suspect is reported to have been even-tempered and cooperative when police arrested him. The victims are not thought to have known Dalton beforehand.

Kalamazoo Public safety Chief Jeff Hadley said that there is still no clear motive for the shootings, which have been described as "random murders" by County Undersheriff Paul Matyas. Police are thought to be interviewing the suspect to determine the motive behind the attacks.

Kalamazoo dead

A father and his 18-year-old son were killed at a Kia car dealership during the incident, while a 14-year-old girl is believed to have been critically injured. A woman was also shot and critically wounded in front of her children outside a block of apartments, however, the children were not hurt.

Meanwhile, students at the nearby Western Michigan University have slammed the publically-funded institution for failing to issue appropriate security measures during the deadly incident. WMU students reported on social media that they had received no alert about the gunman who was killing people around town, but instead received an alert about a robbery.

A student lashed out at the university authorities for informing them about gas leaks in the dorms, but not about a "mass looser on the loose" nearby. Yet another said that student "safety should always come first" and that it was a "shame" that the university had failed to inform their students about the threat. It is believed that the nearby Kalamazoo College was put on lockdown.