England are in dire straits at the end of day four in the third and final Test against New Zealand in Auckland.

The visitors finished the day on 90/4, after the Kiwis put on a quick-fire 241 in their second innings, to set England a mammoth total of 481 to chase.

Alastair Cook was dismissed late on in the day

Ian Bell (8 not out) is currently at the crease, after a major batting collapse saw England lose two wickets to part-timer Kane Williamson in the last five overs of the day.

Alastair Cook (43) and nightwatchman Steven Finn (0) were the off-spinner's victims, while Nick Compton (2) and Jonathan Trott (37) were caught behind off Tim Southee and Neil Wagner. The hosts are currently on the cusp of their first series win at home against England in nineteen years, unless the tourists pull off a major feat of escapology on the final day.

Earlier on the day, the Kiwis, who resumed from 35/3, were saved by a brilliant innings by Peter Fulton (110), who hit his second ton of the game to give his side the advantage. The century took Fulton's tally to 246 runs in the game, in what could be a match-winning knock by the 34-year-old.

Captain Brendon McCullum provided crucial support to Fulton, plundering an unbeaten 67 runs from just 53 balls. Dean Brownlie (28) and BJ Watling (18) both played a part in holding up the other end, while Fulton and McCullum piled up quick runs.

The hosts had put up an impressive first innings score of 443 runs, after Cook sent them IN to bat. Fulton scored his maiden century to give Kiwis the initiative, while Kane Williamson (91), Brownlie (36) and McCullum (38) all chipped in.

England, on the other hand, failed to cope with Trent Boult and succumbed to a paltry score of 204, with the paceman taking six wickets. Matt Prior (73) was the only Englishman to put up a fight, with five of the other batsmen failing to get into double figures.

New Zealand decided not to enforce the follow on and batted again, building on their first innings lead of 239 runs.