Following the launch of Google's fifth generation Nexus smartphone, recognised XDA developer has released CF-Auto-Root package for the device.
CF-Auto-Root file roots the Nexus 5 easily without any difficulty. As the developer explains, CF-Auto-Root is the root for 'rooting beginners' and those who wish to keep as close to stock as possible. The root file is meant to be used in combination with stock firmwares. It is the quickest and easiest root method available so far.
The CF-Auto-Root contains SuperSU binary and APK. It supports Windows, Linux and Mac. Head over to the development thread to know more about the root file.
Nexus 5 users, who wish to root their devices running on Android 4.4 KitKat, may follow our step-by-step guide.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held responsible for any damage to the device. Users are also advised to verify that their devices meet following requirements.
1) Install USB Driver for Nexus 5 to transfer files between the Android device and the computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on the phone to connect the Android device with computer and use the Android SDK with it. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option and check USB Debugging Mode.]
3) As the tutorial might wipe all the data of the phone, create a backup. If the device is having any custom recoveries such as CWM/TWRP already installed then back up data using the recovery.
4) The Nexus 5 should have above 80% of battery charge.
5) The bootloader of Nxeus 5 should be unlocked.
6) The CF-Auto-Root file is compatible with Nexus 5 running on Android 4.4 KitKat (KRT16M). Applying this on any incorrect variant is likely to brick the device. Therefore, verify the model number of Nexus 5 by navigating to Settings>> About phone>> Model number.
7) Rooting the device will void manufacturer's warranty. Users can reclaim the warranty back by unrooting it later.
Note: If the device has not been unlocked before, then this procedure is likely to wipe out all data.
Steps to root Nexus 5 on Android 4.4 KtKat using CF-Auto-Root
Step-2: Download Fastboot and extract it in android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools directory (Create a directory if it's not created earlier)
Step-3: Download CF-Auto-Root package for Nexus 5 to the computer
Step-4: Connect the Nexus 5 to the computer using USB cable
Step-5: Enter Fastboot/Bootloader Mode on the phone. To do so, turn off the phone while pressing and holding Volume Up, Volume Down and Power buttons together until the Fastboot menu and Start on top appears
Step-6: Extract the downloaded root file anywhere in the computer and go to the location
Step-7: From the CF-Auto-Root files in the Fastboot directory, do the following
chmod +x root-linux.sh
Mac OS X users:
chmod +x root-mac.sh
Step-8: Wait and watch the process is completed, follow the on-screen instructions on the phone
Step-9: When the process is completed, the phone will reboot and it might take about five minutes to boot for the first time
As the Nxeus 5 boots up, it should be rooted successfully on Android 4.4 KitKat. Open the app drawer of the phone and look for the SuperSU app in the list. Also, to verify the root status of the device download Root Checker app, available at Google Play Store.
[Source: Team Android]