One man has been taken into custody and a busy shopping street in Oslo cordoned off on Saturday (8 April) after an explosive device was found.
The Norwegian capital was on high alert following a truck attack in Sweden on Thursday that left four dead and 15 injured, and the discovery of the 'bomb like' device caused the busy street to be put on lockdown.
Witness Malin Myrvold, 23, told the Associated Press: "Every restaurant was being closed. You could see cops in heavy armor going in every store and restaurant.
"We were trying to see what was going on. The police were screaming at us to get back inside and stay where we were."
Police in Oslo said on Twitter that one man had been held following the incident, while bomb disposal experts attended the scene – which occurred close to shops, bars, and several mosques, as well as the main police station, AP reported.
They tweeted: "It seems like this device only has potential for causing limited damage... we're now awaiting further necessary investigations."
The man who was arrested has been taken into custody by Oslo police, who also confirmed that experts had defused the 'bomb-like' device.