Scottish cup final pitch invasion
Fans of Hibernian FC stand over a Rangers FC fan following a pitch invasion during the Scottish Cup final Getty

Rangers Football Club have alleged that their players and staff were "assaulted" by Hibernian fans who invaded the pitch after the Scottish final. Fans streamed onto the field following an injury time winner from right-back David Gray which gave their team a 3-2 victory and ended a 114-year wait to win the trophy.

With stewards struggling to cope, fights broke out when some Rangers fans managed to get by them, before police horses were eventually brought on to restore order. As Hibs fans returned to the stands part of the pitch was ripped up and the goal posts were broken by people climbing on them.

The invasion delayed the presentation of the trophy and there was no lap of honour by the Hibernian players.

In a statement Rangers calling the fans' behaviour "disgraceful" and said their players and staff had been assaulted "and in the interests of their safety could not return to the pitch for the medal presentation".

Team captain Lee Wallace and goal scorer Andy Halliday were among those allegedly attacked by fans, along with Dean Shiels, Rob Kiernan and former Jason Holt, who once played for Hibernian's main rivals Hearts, according to the Daily Record newspaper, which reported that other members of the Ibrox backroom staff were assaulted and spat on.

Hibernian said they regretted the events and would "cooperate fully" with authorities and work with them to "identify any supporter who may have taken part in any form of unacceptable behaviour" that had "tarnished the club's reputation".

Calling their behaviour "inexcusable", Chief Superintendent Kenny MacDonald said: "We understand that feelings run high at these events and fans want to celebrate their team's win. However, the reckless behaviour of fans entering the pitch is totally unacceptable."

Warning: this video contains scenes of fighting. News TV1984 via YouTube

He added that it had "created a significant safety issue" and a dedicated investigation team was being set up to "identify those who have carried out these acts of disorder and violence."

Scottish FA Chief Executive Stewart Regan also condemned the behaviour, saying the organisation was "appalled by the scenes of disorder on the field immediately after full time and at the contemptible behaviour that ensued."

He said: "What should have been an historic, memorable Scottish Cup final will now, sadly, be remembered for all the wrong reasons."

He added that "the stadium management have initiated a full investigation into the scenes that unfolded to understand how such a volume of supporters were able to enter the field".