After rolling out Android 5.0 (Lollipop) OS update to its Samsung Galaxy S4 subscribers in the US, AT&T has now begun seeding the Lollipop firmware upgrade to users of the more recent Samsung Galaxy S5 smartphones.
Hence, users of AT&T-driven Samsung Galaxy S5 handsets in the US can check out for newer OTA notifications that should represent the Android Lollipop OS update.
AT&T's latest update is applicable to Samsung Galaxy S5 smartphones bearing model number SM-G900A. Users should also get to see Android Lollipop via OTA in the form of a bulky 1.4GB sized file.
Google's Android Lollipop OS update, for AT&T Samsung Galaxy S5 smartphones, brings along the following newer features, functionality and enhancements:
- Material Design: Material design offers fluid animations, vivid coloured themes and 3D-views.
- Improved Lockscreen: Shortcuts for both Phone and Camera are provided, along with material design-inspired notifications.
- Touchwiz: Brighter look and feel, bold colours, fluid animation inspired by material design.
- Floating Action Button: Floating action buttons provide easy access to the app's most important features, such as adding a new contact or favourite, or composing a text message.
- Smart Lock: Secure smartphone by pairing it with a trusted device like a wearable or car.
- Interruptions: Priority notifications such as events and reminders, phone calls, and messages can be set up to sound or vibrate while all other notifications are muted.
- Recents: Easy access to your Chrome tabs right from the Recent apps page. Multi-window icons for ease of use during multi-tasking.
- Activation of 'OK Google' voice command: With OK Google, it is possible to issue voice commands to Galaxy S4 smartphones.
- Battery saving features: Indicates remaining time left to charge.
How to download and install:
The latest update is available via OTA, but those who have not received any notification, can manually search for it and install.
- Connect to a Wi-Fi network
- From the home screen, pull down the notification bar, and then select Settings
- Navigate to and select About device
- Select Software update
Tap Check for updates
- Status message: The software update process will not delete any personal data on your phone. Check the AT&T server for new software update?
- Choose OK
- Tap Continue after the update download status message is received
- The device initiates software update download
- The device automatically restarts post downloading of the update
- Status Message: The software has been successfully installed. Your phone is now ready to use
- Select Done
Verification of OS update:
- Drag down the notification bar, and tap the Settings icon.
- Scroll to the "System" category, and tap About device.
The following information displays:
- Android version: 5.0
- Baseband version: G900AUCUcBOC4
- Kernel version: 3.4.0-4432708
- Build number: LRX21T.G900AUCU3BOC4