Wasim Akram
Wasim Akram (L) was scathing in his assessment of the Pakistan Cricket Board's decision of initiating a probe into the Asia Cup T20 loss getty

Former Pakistan captain Wasim Akram has slammed the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) for forming a probe committee following Pakistan's exit at the Asia Cup, while also backing Shahid Afridi as captain of the squad. The Men In Green had a disastrous Asia Cup, exiting in the group stages after losing to arch-rivals India and hosts Bangladesh.

In fact the team only beat the United Arab Emirates side, in the ongoing Asia Cup and have come in for criticism from all quarters post the debacle. Akram, who is considered one of the best left-arm bowlers of all-time, was scathing in his assessment of the PCB's decision of initiating a probe into the loss, while also offering his services for the betterment of Pakistani cricket.

Speaking to the media, he said, "I don't understand the purpose of announcing a probe committee when the national team is due to leave for India for the World T20," as quoted by NDTV.

"I don't agree with this thinking, the decision of the Pakistan Cricket Board (PC B) to evaluate the team's performance in the Asia Cup at this time. It does not make sense as the World T20 is just a few days away.

"Shahid Afridi has been playing for 20 years. We all know him and his performances, he is the best man to lead the team even now. He just needs to be given full backing and support by everyone."

"The team has been struggling in T20 cricket for a while now but we need to show more understanding and respect to the players who are already under a lot of pressure," he said.

"I am ready to serve Pakistan cricket but I need to be given a proper timetable. I can't be asked at the 11<sup>th hour to come in, I work according to a schedule. I am ready to work in any capacity but first someone needs to offer me a proper role," the former captain added.

Pakistan are drawn in Group 2 in the 2016 ICC World T20 along with Australia, India, New Zealand and the winner of the Group A qualifier will start their campaign on 16 March at Eden Gardens, Kolkata.