A new stock firmware build I9300XXUGML2, based on Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, is now available to download for the global version of Galaxy S3. This update comes after Samsung resumed Android 4.3 upgrade service, which was suspended temporarily following users' complaint over major bug issues.
The I9300XXUGML2 build is currently live for Galaxy S3 users in Switzerland. Users can install the update via OTA and through Samsung Kies.
Version: Android 4.3 Jelly Bean
Build date: 13 December
Galaxy S3 users who failed to update their devices with the latest firmware for being region-specific, may follow our step-by-step guide to install the same manually using Odin flashing tool. The I9300XXUML2, like any other unbranded version of firmware, can be installed on any unlocked GT-I9300 unit, irrespective of country and region.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to the device. Before installing the official firmware, users are advised to verify that their devices meet following requirements.
1) Install USB Drivers for Samsung Galaxy S3 to connect the Android device with the computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Go to Settings>> Developer Options to enable USB Debugging Mode.]
3) As the tutorial is likely to wipe out all data of the phone, create a backup. If the device is having any custom recoveries such as CWM/TWRP then backup data using the recovery.
4) If the Android phone powers off due to lack of battery while the installation process, it could damage the device. Therefore, the Galaxy S3 should have charge above 80% battery charge.
5) The device should be factory unlocked and not locked to a particular carrier.
6) The phone will lose custom ROM with the installation of official firmware. Additionally, the custom recovery such as CWM/TWRP will be replaced by stock recovery.
7) The device will no longer belong to a rooted version with the installation of official firmware.
8) I9300XXUGML2 Android 4.3 Jelly Bean firmware works only with Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300. As flashing this on any other variant might brick the device, verify the model number of Galaxy S3 by navigating to Settings>> About phone>> Model number.
How to install XXUGML2 Android 4.3 Jelly Bean on Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300
Step-2: Extract the downloaded firmware zip using winrar/7zip/winzip or any other extracting tool to get a .tar.md5 file with few other files
Step-3: Download Odin v3.07 and extract it to get Odin3 v3.07.exe with some other files
Step-4: Switch off Galaxy S3
Step-5: Boot the phone into Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down, Home and Power buttons together until the construction Android robot icon with a triangle appears on the phone screen. Now press the Volume Up button to enter Download Mode
Step-6: Run Odin3 v3.07.exe as Administrator [To do so, right click on Odin.exe file then click on Run as administrator from context menu.]
Step-7: Connect the Galaxy S3 to computer using USB cable while it is in Download mode. Wait for some time until Odin detects the device. When the phone is connected successfully an Added message will appear under Odin. Also, the ID: COM box in Odin will turn blue with COM port number, indicating successful connection
Note: If the Added message does not come then try another USB port, try the one located at the back side of the computer. If Odin still fails to recognise the device then re-install USB driver.
Step-8: Select these files extracted from I9300XXUGML2 folder to install on the phone
a) Click the PDA button and select the .tar.md5 file
b) Click the Phone button and select file with MODEM in its name
c) Click the CSC button and select file with CSC in its name
d) Click the PIT button and select the .pit file
Note: Ignore the last three steps (step-b, c and d) if such files do not exist.
Step-9: Verify Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time checkboxes are selected in Odin. But uncheck Re-Partition option, select it only when a .pit file is being used
Step-10: Click the Start button in Odin. The installation process should begin now and would take about few minutes to complete
Step-11: When the installation process is completed, the phone will restart automatically and soon a PASS message with green background will appear in the extreme left box at the very top of Odin. Unplug the USB cable from the phone to disconnect it from the computer
The Galaxy S3 should now be updated with I9300XXUGML2 Android 4.3 Jelly Bean. Navigate to Settings>> About phone to verify the new firmware version running on the device.
How to fix bootloop issue
If the Galaxy S3 gets stuck at booting animation (after step-11) then go to recovery mode by pressing and holding Home, Power and Volume Up buttons together. In recovery mode perform Wipe data/factory reset. Then select Wipe Cache Partition and once the action is completed, reboot the phone by selecting reboot system now. In recovery mode, use Volume keys to scroll between options and Power button to select the desired option. Performing wiping task will erase the phone's internal memory data.
[Source: Honai of Android]