It is a historic day for British Vogue with the announcement that Edward Enninful has been appointed the first male editor of the fashion bible. The news comes just weeks after Alexandra Shulman stepped down from her post as editor after more than 25 years of heading up the magazine.
In a statement circulated on 10 April, Jonathan Newman, Conde Nast's chairman and chief executive, paid the utmost compliment to Enninful whom he described as "one of the most talented and accomplished fashion editors in the world".
Leading the flood of congratulations were Enninful's close friend and supermodel Naomi Campbell, who wrote on Instagram: "I never thought I would see this day !! Congratulations @edward_enninful OBE your deserve this !!! I'm truly Happy for you words cannot describe how I feel for you right now . And for what you will do in bringing people together being at the Helm of @britishvogue." Actress Thandie Newton added: "*STUNNING* and SO well deserved."
As the fashion world celebrates the historic moment in UK diversity at the country's most revered style publication, IBTimes UK profiles the man set to make the big decisions at British Vogue.
Who is Edward Enninful?
- He is 45 years old and his first day at British Vogue will be 1 August
- Enninful was born in Ghana but moved to the UK with his parents and five siblings. The family settled in the Ladbroke Grove area of London and Enninful became a British citizen soon after.
- Credit for Enninful's foray into fashion can rest firmly with his mother, who inspired her son to get into the industry through her work as a seamstress.
- While a student at Goldsmith's University in London, Enninful juggled a modelling career on the side and began working at i-D magazine. Enninful found his calling early on as the fashion connoisseur became fashion director at the ripe age of 18, and had a hand in developing the 1990s grunge trend.
- In 2016, Enninful received an OBE for services to diversity in the fashion industry under the Queen's Birthday Honours List. Addressing the momentous occasion, Enninful wrote in an Instagram post: "One of the proudest moments of 2016 was when I was awarded an #OBE for Services To Diversity In The Fashion Industry by The Royal Princess, Anne at Buckingham Palace. If You had told my 18 year old self that this would one day be possible, He wouldn't have believed you."
- Enninful is incredibly well-connected in the fashion industry having worked closely with the likes of Calvin Klein, Christian Dior, Dolce And Gabbana, Giorgio Armani, Mulberry and Valentino to name just a handful.
- Celebrity friends include, Naomi Campbell, Kate Moss, Rihanna, Marc Jacobs, Bella Hadid and Kendall Jenner.